Registering with Building control

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently been made redundent, so considerd being self employed, I have had 36 years experiance as a maintenance sparky and did a apprenticeship with the BBC were I did the old ONC exam, I recently passed my 17th, 2392 and 2391 and was under the impreshion I could now register with my local buildings control as a compitent person as I did not want to commit to joining one of the trade orginiations yet, but my local buildings control officer would not reconise any other qulification other than C&G 2392 backed up with C&G 2330.
Is he correct, or just being a council w****r.

Sponsored Links
You cannot register with the council as a competent person - only with NICEIC/ECA/NAPIT/ELCSA/UTCAA.

As far as the building regs are concerned there are two classes of people: registered, and the rest of the world. If you aren't registered then you're treated the same as the numptiest numpty you can imagine.

Some councils do offer a reduced notification fee for qualified but unregistered electricians, but it's entirely up to them how they manage that process, so although yes, I think your guy is a friend of Mrs Palm and her five daughters, there's nothing you can do about it.

You cannot register with the council as a competent person - only with NICEIC/ECA/NAPIT/ELCSA/UTCAA.
I think your guy is a friend of Mrs Palm and her five daughters, there's nothing you can do about it.
I agree with bas.

To register with one of the domestic installers scheme
( http://www.competentperson.co.uk )
You will need some qualification
I think NAPIT don't require 2391 providing you have 2330 level 3 or equivalent and 2381
Niceic are the same but give you 18 months to gain 2391.

Sponsored Links
it's not "registering" pre-se, but some councils will accept certificates from qualified sparkies who are not members of a competent persons scheme and give them a discounted notification rate..
some may insist on having copies of the sparkies qualifications before they accept the certificates..

as always, each council has it's own rules..

Back