Drainpipe onto flat roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently had a small (3 x 4 metres) extension built. It has a flat roof which is higher at one end than the other to allow for drainage. I noticed yesterday that the drainpipe from the roof of the main house finishes on the flat roof, meaning that the water from the main roof will end up on the flat roof. Is this normal? Should this not be drained to the guttering on the side of the flat roof?

I am not sure what the roof is made of but it has been finished by being painted with a silver paint.

Any advice would be great. Many thanks. (Lots of problems now arising with the build which is why I don't trust the builders!)

Sponsored Links
Its not going to leak or anything, but driving water shooting out the bottom of the pipe onto the roof will eventually wear that part of the roof more than the surrounding parts. Just pop a tile or something under the pipe so the water hits that first and then disperses.

Or ask your builder if he could put a little bit of extension pipe along the roof to carry some of the water along.

Again, nothing to worry about but these little jobs help. :)

Thanks for your reply. It would be easy to add a piece of extension pipe to the guttering - just didn't know whether there was a reason for not doing this?

Thanks again!

Sponsored Links
You can extend to existing gutter , but in exposed roof [like mine]the pipe needs securing to avoid the wind moving it around.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back