Hard brake pedal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a 1999 Peugeot Partner van with a brake problem.

Over the last couple of days I've noticed the brake pedal become hard on several occasions. First time I noticed was when I set off from cold to do a 3 point turn and the pedal felt hard. Second time, i'd coasted a short distance in neutral and when I applied the brakes the pedal was hard. Third time, I was braking from about 40mph coming to a junction and the pedal gradually became harder. Sudden braking gives a normal pedal and good stopping power. Pedal feels fine if the engine has been revving a bit but seems to go hard at nearer tick over RPM...any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Not a pro but sounds a bit like the servo needs checking.
Reason being, if the engine is not running the pedal will go hard, when running the pedal gets softer. If that makes sense.
JonB

That was a thought I had JonB but not sure where the servo is to check, last time I checked a servo the brake master cylinder was fixed to it but that doesn't seem to be the case on the van :oops:

The vacuum for the servo is provided by a pump driven from the nearside end of the camshaft...check for pipes split, missing etc. To check the servo - engine off, press the brake pedal a good few times - it will rise to the top. Keep pressure on the pedal then start up. The pedal should fall a bit if vacuum is being supplied to the servo. Cheers John
PS If this isn't a diesel vehicle, ignore the first bit! J :)

Sponsored Links
Check the vac pump is sucking, if it isnt before you replace it check the oil feed to it, if its getting a good supply of oil then its prob new pump time.

Check the vac pump is sucking, if it isnt before you replace it check the oil feed to it, if its getting a good supply of oil then its prob new pump time.

Thanks guys, will have a look tomorrow night...hope it's something simple...and cheap :D

Sponsored Links
Back