Lots of flies in the house???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Not really sure where to post this so will start here. Over the past month or so we have been getting a lot of small flies in our house.

I have tried fly spray which gets rid of them for a few days but they always come back. They seemed to start upstairs, so i'm pretty sure there's no rotten food that could be helping them breed. I think it may be some poor soil we bought when re-potting some house plants a couple of month back but not sure?

After i have been round with fly spray, we find hundreds of dead ones over the house.

Here is a pic of one of them

fly.JPG

I'm not sure what to try next to get rid of them for good?

Thanks,

Rob

Sponsored Links
They have a natural life cycle. They'll soon disappear. The eggs all hatch at about the same time so will become adult at same time.

Sponsored Links
We got a plague of tiny flies a year and a half ago. Prime suspect was a mushroom growing kit that I'd got as a present but not opened yet. When I did open it I found that the manure bag wasn't airtight so I'm pretty sure that the fly eggs hatched out in there.

The flies eventually died out but I never got a single mushroom. I think the little perishers ate all the spores. :mad: :mad: :mad:

In your case, the soil you bought for your house plants is a likely candidate. Maybe it had raw manure in it - complete with fly eggs! :( :( :(

ughhh I absolutely hate flies! They usually go away on their own but in the meantime it is such a painnnn

Notice the OP is from leeds not by chance next to Elland road as you know what they say about flies around sh#te :LOL:

The photo isn't exactly up to "Attenborough" standards but it looks very like a mosquito from the shape of the head and the thorax. Any ponds, ditches or the like near you?

Hey - how about a new thread - "Guess the Insect" :confused:

If they are mosquitos then those plug in mosquito killers are really good. Put one in the room where the soil is and that should get rid of them.

I get the problem of lots of ordinary flies coming into the bathroom probably via the loft hatch. It happens this time every year. I cant think what their food source can be annually?

I get the problem of lots of ordinary flies coming into the bathroom probably via the loft hatch. It happens this time every year. I cant think what their food source can be annually?
Oh sorry you said annually I thought you said....

Tim West wrote
Oh sorry you said annually. I thought you said...

I laughed so much at this brilliant reply. However I have only just joined the site and havn't worked out how to thank anyone yet.

Back to the problem of what the food source could be in the loft!!!!

Were rural, live next door to a farm & we get the same problem in our loft this time every year. If your in a similar situation or live close to open ground, it’s probably these little buggers s;
http://www.vermatech.co.uk/Cluster Flies.htm

They get in through the eaves, under the roof tiles & through the felt & it’s almost impossible to stop them. They mostly stay in the loft but some do find their way into the house especially if you disturb them by switching the loft light on; they also squeeze through the gap around the loft hatch. The good news is that it’s unlikely that something has died up there so don’t worry too much. I just buy an extra few cans of fly spray & dose them over a few days; mine are all dealt with now, for this year anyway. :rolleyes:

My GF had had clusterflies recently............ well she didn't, her house did.
They are vegetarians so no rotting mice etc. The interesting bit is they rest on their backs and look dead - but touch 'em or blow on 'em - they move :eek:

Sponsored Links
Back