batten size for roof tile

cdh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me what size battens I need for Double Roman 50 roof tiles with rafters approx 560mm centres for a small pitched roof over the front of a garage & porch.

Not sure which size to go for as I've read that at 450mm centres they should be 38 x 25mm and at 600mm they should be 50 x 25mm. However, I've just a a 2 storey extension built and the builders have used 38mm battens with rafters at approx 600mm.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
According to the BS Standards 25 x 50 is recommended, but 25 x 38 was used for years without problem.
The new standard was brought in because of an increase in lower quality timber coming into the market.
IIWY I wouldn't be unduly concerned

Just to add to roofer's post , 19 x 38 was used previously , including some roofs i did when starting out, none of them have any problems as far as i'm aware and have been up 15 + years

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back