Rain drips down my fascia boards...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently purchased house has had guttering and fascia boards replaced by previous owner, and since there are no soffit boards I see that on two sides of the detached house they have put ~25mm thick spacers between the rafter ends and the fascia, thus moving the line of the guttering out from the tile edge.
Result is that you can see light if you look up between the guttering and the facia, and when it rains a significant amount of water runs down the facias, and the outside of the guttering...
Before I buy a set of ladders to get a closer look, can anyone suggest why the previous builder did this, - I mean they must have gone to some trouble to cut and mount the spacers, so assume that they were attempting to address another 'problem'
Any comments gratefully received!

Sponsored Links
Daylight should not be seen between gutter and fascia

He has not dressed felt into the gutter, or has not fitted proper eaves tray instead of the felt

That is why you are getting the staining - some water is missing the gutter

Thanks for the quick reply -I thought a picture might help

_DSC0220.jpg

That fascia doesn't look new (?)

If the fascias were replaced by the previous owner how can you be sure that the spacers weren't there originally and there's always been water getting behind the gutter?

An eaves tray as suggested should help

Sponsored Links
I was told by a neighbour that they had been replaced at some time in the recent past....
and the fascias on the other two sides of the house don't have them.

Here is a picture looking up (out of upstairs window, nearly dropped the camera...) however the edge of the tiles only just reach the edge of the guttering.

_DSC0221.jpg

Thanks for the advice guys, looks like I'll be getting some eave trays this weekend!
Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back