Hip Rafter question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have had a single storey extension built with a hip roof at one side.
The hip rafter is overhanging the internal wall by about 1.5 inches. This means that the plasterer is not able to butt up the dry lining seamlessly on the inside of the roof as the hip rafter juts out.

Our builder has told us that the building inspector has signed off the roof so I guess that means it must be structurally sound but I would have expected the hip rafter to sit flush against the internal wall.

Can anyone advise if this is OK or does it indicate poor workmanship?

Sponsored Links
The hip rafter is normally birdsmouthed onto the wall plate thus leaving it flush with the underside of the ceiling joists. It is often a useful nailing point for the corner of the plasterboards.

I can't imagine why it is protruding into the room space? :confused:

Photo pour favor?

The hip is normally hidden by the horizontal ceiling joists.

If you can see the hip, then you must have a raking ceiling (ie the plasterboard on the underside of the rafters) and in this case you will see the bottom of the hip, and thats normal

Otherwise if you have a normal ceiling, then the hip needs cutting off level with the ceiling line

Yes we have a sloping ceiling which has Velux windows. Is that the same as a raked ceiling?

They said the rafter had to be bigger than the others because of the weight it is supporting and so that is why it is protrouding on the inside of the internal wall.

Sponsored Links
So why did they not batten down to hide the hip, or indeed slope it off with plasterboard?
How deep are your rafters?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back