Re-roofing double garage flat roof. Brain storming!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a solidly built blockwork double garage 5x6m (build by a previous occupant) incorporating two massive 10"x5" RSJs, one across the opening the other across centre. Joists are 115x50 softwood at 600 centres and all sound. Unfortunately the the roof boards and felting are anything but solidly built. The boards are chipboard and the felting has obviously been done badly and has been leaking over most of one corner quarter probably for years. There is negligible slope.
The question is whether to create some slope and go for a sheet system or stick with the nearly flat and replace boards and just use a good quality vinyl membrane or any other suggestion. We're ruling out any kind of pitched roof because of cost and planning. It needs to be done on the smallest budget possible but at the same time must be very sound and durable. Can do the work ourselves if it would seriously reduce the cost as we have decades of building and engineering experience to high standards but no experience/equipment for any highly innovative or exotic techniques in flat roofing.
Many thanks for your help in advance. PeterM

Sponsored Links
Deffo EPDM rubber, so easy to do. Get all the old wood off and reboard the roof with 18mm ply/osb. get a sheet of rubber all in one piece cut to size and glue it on, trim the edges and bob's yr uncle :D

It needs to be done on the smallest budget possible but at the same time must be very sound and durable. Can do the work ourselves if it would seriously reduce the cost as we have decades of building and engineering
I'm in a similar situation. What I am doing is creating a slight pitch maybe 5 degrees with new tanilised beams. On top a layer of 12mm ply. Then a layer of celotex insulation. Then 18mm T/G ply with all joints glued. I am most likely going to fibreglass as DIY or pay someone, but think it needs 20c ambient temp for the resin to set. So until next spring I am planning to get the deck laid in November then create temporary waterproofing by laying Tyvek roofing membrane across the deck and stapling down. Its a cheap solution and I'm hoping it will least protect the decking until next year. Fibreglass is around £10m2 for materials if you buy direct. I don't know what you would expect someone to lay it for? Maybe £30m2?

If you scroll back on this forum you will see GRP message with a chap called dodgydave2 who has offered to email an installation guide for fibreglass. Unfortunately hes not logged in for a few months and I haven't been able to message him either

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back