house key

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We need to hide a house key outside because if we shut the door it will lock us out. Any idea how are where to hide a key some place out in the yard. :oops:

Sponsored Links
as this is a U.K based website and we do not know where you live put it under the third large stone to the left.

why not go to your local hardware store and ask for a knox box. (or similar) you can get one on line here

or you can get a different make with a combination lock on it see this

How about burying it in the back garden? Just don't let the cat dig it out :eek:

I always advise people to change their yale lock type to mortise latch type,this way you cannot lock yourself out.The biggest problem I have is when I break into it to the open the door for them they have to convince me it is their property!! Personally I don't think I can sleep at night knowing my front door keys are outside.See this for one of many type of locks.

If you want to keep the yale lock type make sure it have got another thin latch under the main latch.

More info......
Did you know your property are not insure if you don't have the correct mortise lock eg 5 lever type,anti drill plate and internal roll pin.

Sponsored Links
masona said:
Personally I don't think I can sleep at night knowing my front door keys are outside.

its quite common in the states to have a key outside in a (combination)locked box

When I was in the States I bought a plastic imitation stone which on the underside had a sliding door, like a battery compartment for keeping a key in. I seen loads of different types of outdoor key holders, magnetic backing etc. I got my one from the Home Depot garden centre. I have never kept a key in it as I could not sleep either, I just got it because it had one of those 'welcome to my garden' messages on the front

See this regarding keyless lock box.

I can't see anywhere where it doesn't say sledgehammer proof,grinder proof etc !!!!! and also very tempting for someone to have a go at it knowing it's there.

The problem with plastic imitation stone hide key type,everyone know about it !

I've fitted a combination door lock for someone a few years back and rang me the next day,someone has put superglue all round the number pads !!!

Perhaps the best answer is to get a neighbour or friend locally you trust to look after it for you!

We are probably talking to ourselves anyhow as I have yet to witness a reply from an American after taking the trouble to help them with thier query. No doubt geohoule will be here tonight to make me look real daft! :oops:

Graeme said:
No doubt geohoule will be here tonight to make me look real daft! :oops:

No,you should be okay Graeme

Goehoule can't reply at the moment,they're still outside looking for their key they've hidden :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

i had noticed that (Americans not replying in most instances)

stands on soap box

i also thimk it would be a good idea if the forums were renamed to make it obvious that this is a UK based website, most americans seem to think that .com means it IS American ( i have similar problems) whats your opinions?

gets off soap box

Good point Breezer's,

Sometime it can be interesting to see how others country do their diy.

For instant,I never heard of waterproof glazing tapes instead of using putty on wooden frame until chgomike replies from America (okay very rare!) said they use it over there all the times.I then e-mail the American company and they said they do supplied the glazing tapes to one company in the UK which I've now got and very please with it.I've rang 6 Glazing Glass Company out of yellow pages and none of them has heard of it!

I know what the guys are saying here but we don't have to read it or answer it do we?

And anyway what country are you in Breezer :?: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: According to the forum you're not located anywhere :!:

I believe breezers from a different planet (probably the same one as me from what I keep being told by her indoors :!: :D :D )

When I was in the States I bought a plastic imitation stone which on the underside had a sliding door, like a battery compartment for keeping a key in. I seen loads of different types of outdoor key holders, magnetic backing etc. I got my one from the Home Depot garden centre. I have never kept a key in it as I could not sleep either, I just got it because it had one of those 'welcome to my garden' messages on the front

breezer
Thank you for the info on the rock at home depot just what I'm looking for.
know one will want to come in my house anyway I have a 44 under my pillow every night thank you again. geohoule

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back