Should I buy Viessmann Vitodens 200 35kw combi boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My old Vaillant has finally packed in after 10 years and I have been looking for a new boiler.

I have been thinking of a Baxi DuoTec 28 Combi Boiler or a Vaillant ecoTec Pro 28 combi boiler.

However, lately I have been strongly considering Viessmann Vitodens 200 35kw after hearing good things about it. I also have someone locally who can fit it for a good price and has undergone the Viessmann course so I can have the 5 year guarantee.

What would you recommend from the three?

Also could you please tell me what the difference is between the Viessmann Vitodens 200 and 100 as I cannot seem to get a straight answer from whoever I ask?

Some people just mention that the 200 is an international model with the 100 having some cut backs to reduce the price for the UK market.

Is it worth paying the extra £150 or so for the 200 or is there no real difference with the 100?

Also online I have read about problems with the old 100. Is this still the case with the new version and are there any reliability problems with the 200?

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

the main differences between the 100 and 200 is:

the 200 have a greater modulation range then the 100 so can better match demand.

the 200 has a self adjusting gas valve that keeps the gas/air mix correct all the time

200 has more advanced control options such as advanced weather comp. http://www.viessmann.co.uk/downloads/6pp Weather comp.pdf

the vitodens 200w is a nice bit of kit but the 100 is still a good boiler. I fit both of them.
I am guessing you looking at getting the combi boiler version?

Hi,

the main differences between the 100 and 200 is:

the 200 have a greater modulation range then the 100 so can better match demand.

the 200 has a self adjusting gas valve that keeps the gas/air mix correct all the time

200 has more advanced control options such as advanced weather comp. http://www.viessmann.co.uk/downloads/6pp Weather comp.pdf

the vitodens 200w is a nice bit of kit but the 100 is still a good boiler. I fit both of them.
I am guessing you looking at getting the combi boiler version?

Thanks! That helps a great deal. Yes, I will be getting the combi boiler version.

So do you think it is worth paying the extra for Viessmann Vitodens 200 instead of getting the 100?

Also do you think the Baxi DuoTec 28 Combi Boiler or a Vaillant ecoTec Pro 28 combi boiler is worth considering or is the Viessmann a lot better?

Sponsored Links
you should aways get the best boiler you can afford. if you can afford the extra that 200-w offers then get it. 100w is still a good boiler though.

in my opinion both the 100w and 200w beat the Baxi and valliant pro...and the 5 year warranty is a nice bonus :D

get your viessmann fitted correctly on a clean system and your laughing :LOL:

btw i would be happy to give a quote if you live close to hartlepool

Isn't another (and probably more major) difference b/w the 100 and 200 versions is that the 200 has a small reservoir of hot water which the boiler keeps warm and hence delivers hot water quicker?. I've really searched hard to try to figure out the difference b/w the 2, and except for this post, couldn't really gather much through googling. The warm start or comfort setting as it seems to be called, doesn't seem to appar on the 100 version. It can also be set to be on at certain times of the day (kind of like a hot water cyliner setup), so, the boiler doesn't waste enegy heating the reservior at night when everyone has gone to sleep.

I'm currently looking at getting my boiler replace (the old one has died quite dramatically), and am currently looking at either a Vaillaint 937 (which has a big reservoir of h/water that can theoretically deliver 20l/min for 20 minutes, or a Viessmann 35kW (not sure if its a 100 or 200, but it seems the 100 doesn't come in 35kW, so, maybe it is a 200, haven't been able to get an answer from the plumbing company as they're on xmas break). The Vaillaint will cost considerably more than the Viessmans as its larget size means modifications to the storage cabinet it'll be installed in , joinery, re-decorating etc)...

Mehran, do you have experience with the Vaillaint 937?... which one would you recommend?.

Thanks.
Riz

jUST TO UPDATE.

I got a Vitodens 200 in the end. Cracking boiler, in that it keeps the house warm much better than before. For 2 years I had a mould problem in the wall cupboards, every so many months I'd have to dispose off sack full of clothes (good thing I can't afford designerware as that wud've bankrupted me!!!)... tried everything, mould resistant paint, vent hatches in the walls, even dessicant material; nothing worked. Since January this year, with proper heating (well I also got ALL the ancient radiators, 25 yrs+ old, in the house replaced as well, so that has bound to help), I've not had ANY mould related wardrobe changeout!!!.

The boiler works fine; the usual issue with combi, 2 showers don't work very well together. However, I've noticed if the I operate the showers on the ground and 1st floor, then the water rates are quite adequate.

I've had 2 (actually 3) engineer call outs from Viessman, both were very prompt; though the first time I had to send emails; talk to supervisors etc to get them to send an engineero ut.

The firsst happened within a few weeks of installation. To say I was not pleased would be an understatement. The boiler stopped giving any hotwater, though heating worked fine (or maybe it was the other way round), anway, since this happened in February time or so, and Scotland is quite cold most of the year, I had to insisit quite strongly with Viessman to send a service engineer out; which they did the next day after a few heated phone calls. The problem truned out to be a small pebble stuck in one of the micro switches inside the boiler!!!. The engineer was quite baffled and said one wouldn't expect a pebble that size to come with mains water. I actually queries the Viessman technical line afterwards and asked if there was any inlet filtration built-into the boiler, turns out, there isn't. Afterwards, I got a plumber to install an in-line Y-Strainer at the cold water feed to the boiler to prevent against any such recurrence; may have added a small pressure drop to the system, but I think its worth the trade-off.

Then, about a month ago, the boiler started intermitently going into fault, with an F4 code. I would reset it; it'll be fine for a half a day or so, then go into fault again. Called Viessman, they came and replaced a flame sensor (I think), and that seems to have fixed the problem.

Straight after that, we started noticing the radiators would be warm to touch in the eveninings, barely warm, not hot at all; but warmer than ambient. Called Viessman again, and it turned out the default factory setting keeps the heating circuit live for a fairly long time everyday just to exervise the pumps etc I guess. So, the engineer changed the times to like 2 minutes/night.

Besides these issues, I'm very happy with the boiler.

Can i ask what price and where you got the boiler from.
is the warranty 3 or 5 yrs?

For the Aberdeen OP, the pebble must have come up the cold water feed.

Probably debris dropped in by the installer during drilling holes for the flue etc.

That should have been a chargeable call by Viessmann. It was not their pebble. I am also surprised the installer did not or could not identify that problem.

An ignition electrode problem could only have been the spark gap size but thats the first time I have heard of that problem on this model.

I installed a new 200 a few weeks ago and apart from the dreadful installation instructions and the fact that not all codes you need to set seem to be in the book, its a wonderful boiler as long as you have got the full weather comp unit.

Tony

Copy of the quote from the supplier:

Boiler Type – To supply and install Viessmann 35KW A rated combination boiler in existing location with a horizontal flue. Remove and dispose existing boiler, hot water cylinder and cold water storage tanks. This boiler has a 5 year warranty and a flow rate of 14.3 litres per minute.
£ 1995

Paid an extra 50 quid for digital timer install of the mechanical clock it comes standard, Also got a boiler buddy installed for £125.

Viessman give 5 yr warranty if the boiler is installed by one of their approved installers, which is what I got. The installation was done in Aberdeen, Scotland.

That seems very cheap.

Are you sure its the latest type of 200 ?

They come with a digital constant temperature controlled and not a mechanical type.

There is little point in having that boiler if you dont also have the Vitatronic external weather compensation controller.

Tony

Viessmann is better than Baxi, which at best is a medium range product. Vailant is better than Baxi, less good than Viessmann and have an atrocious after sales service.

200 series is more complicated than 100 series and questionable if it is worth the extra outlay.

100 series is a very well designed product and probably one of the most reliable on the market today.

The Vitodens 200-W have been revamped since the start of this thread.

The latest WB2C versions have weather comp as an inexpensive option.

It can control hot water, a radiator circuit, and two underfloor circuits plus solar all from the built in controller.

I've had 2 (actually 3) engineer call outs from Viessman...........

Straight after that, we started noticing the radiators would be warm to touch in the eveninings, barely warm, not hot at all; but warmer than ambient. Called Viessman again, and it turned out the default factory setting keeps the heating circuit live for a fairly long time everyday just to exervise the pumps etc I guess. So, the engineer changed the times to like 2 minutes/night.

I know this is an old thread, but can anyone shed any light on the above? What "default factory settings" is it talking about? I know there's a pump anti seizure feature that runs once a day for a minute or so as per most new boilers but the poster above talks about the boiler coming on for so long that the rads started heating up.

I suspect its the weather compensation which can be disorientating to those who fixate on radiator temperature.

What's important is room temperature, not radiator temperature..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back