virgin or sky?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, probably be asked before. we just have basic tv signal but are going to get new 50" plasma tv next week, but as channels are hd and we can afford it do we go virgin v+ or sky hd. currently have broadband on virgin.i think sky have more hd channels but we just want to know is there any difference or just the same as each other? thanks

Sponsored Links
There are more HD channels on Sky although Virgin are getting more added (don't know when) - I've had both on the same TV and Sky looked better quality

Hard to say really as I've never seen Sky HD, but by all accounts it's generally better.

My parents have V+ and the amount of catch up stuff isn't bad if you have the full package (excluding sports and films) some HD stuff from HBO too like Sopranos. However, be aware the Virgin or what was NTL customer service is absolute dog s***

I think the Virgin package may work out cheaper but I'm not 100% on that.

Sky HD :-
More HD channels
Better Picture
TV can be extended to other rooms via RF
Nicer and better designed remote control

V+ :-
Better reliability of the box itself.
Virgin own the box so if it goes wrong they will just replace it.
Can record two programs while watching a 3rd. Sky can only view/record 2 programs.
On demand services
No dish

The sky boxes are well known for having poorly designed power supplies which can go wrong after 18 months causing loss of signal and failed recordings. I had virgin and dropped it and went to Sky when they dropped Sky1. When I got a new TV I upgraded to Sky HD because at that time V+ was expensive and only had the one HD channel.

I recently had the V+ put up in the bedroom and my parents have had it for a year so I have used both systems.

Sponsored Links
Sky HD is generally ok but ive got a 1st gen Thompson box with the crap power supply and it keeps crashing and going into standby.
The first HD box i had lasted 2 weeks ! this is the third ive had it from last July and im not impressed.
If you go for Sky HD try and get a Pace or Samsung box even the Amstrad boxes are more reliable now.
One option to consider is Freesat HD you would get BBC, ITV and LUXE HD channels plus around 100 others for no monthly cost.

''The sky boxes are well known for having poorly designed power supplies which can go wrong after 18 months ''
My first box last year last precisely 4 days , blew up and was replaced with a new box.Replacement still OK though.

The quality of the Virgin signal is fixed - it comes down a combination of fibre and coax from the local ground station where they pick up the satellite feed.

With Sky you are the ground station. HD means you have less room for errors in the feed. If the dish fitter was good then you have a well positioned dish and line of sight to the satellite. IF there are trees near by then the leafs can distort the signal. If the fitter was "less good" like most are, then your dish will be pointing in the vague direction and your signal will be good enough for normal viewing, but fuzzy in HD.

Who you go with will be down to what you want to watch.

Personally, if I were out of contract with Virgin, I'd work out what the Sky cost would be then call the Virgin retentions crew and see what deal they'd cut me to stay put.

the only comment I would make is carefully consider what you want to watch

....having had both sky and virgin we will be going over to either freesat or freeview after christmas

...we just cannot justify the monthly cost for constantly repeated programmes we never watch

unless you watch movies or sport both virgin and sky are a waste of time.

also I think HD is overrated at the viewing distances most of view tv at - the new lcd/plasma tv makes a massive difference on its own!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back