Stopcock jammed closed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have a 3/4" stopcock which operates with a lever which you turn through a quarter turn to close it - I don't know if you have this type in the UK, I am in France. I closed the stopcock to do some work on the pipes and now I have come to turn the water back on again, the lever will not move. It has only been closed for 24 hours so cannot possibly be jammed with limescale or corrosion. Any suggestions please?

Sponsored Links
either loosen the nut on the valve or use some oil or a type of lubricant to try and loosen it.

can you realease the top connection and look into the valve? sometimes the ballvalve inside can shear away from the handle and jam it shut. do you have an outside main isolation valve for your house?

Nathan

Sponsored Links
Tried putting penetrating oil down the spindle, made no difference. Removed pipe from outlet but could see nothing wrong inside. I have now replaced the stopcock, this was inside the house and I was able to shut off the water outside the house.
Thanks for your comments.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back