upstairs bay

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hey guys,
i have a leak in my living room ceiling, the living room has a flat roof and has been extended. there is a bedroom bay window on this roof and i suspect the problem is the bottom of the bay. around the bottom of the bay is something like flashing band which comes off the bay onto the roof, this seems to have come away from the bay and i think water is getting in there, the problem is that the bay is pebbledashed and i dont know what to replace the "flashing band" with, or how to get it to stick to the pebbledashed bay. any help please
thanks
bill

Sponsored Links
its supposed to be a lead apron.
it sounds like flash band you have at the moment.
the leads channeled into the wall. you would be best to get a roofer.

alastair,
appreciate the reply i understand what you are saying but how does the lead flashing fix to the bay, it isnt a wall as such, because its a bedroom bay its like a stud wall, on a brick wall i know you would channel out the mortar, but what do i do with what is basically a board.
thanks again
bill

aha, see what you mean! the lead can still be channeled in as far as the thickness of the cast and a bellcast bead fitted around the top and recasted.

Sponsored Links
could you explain what a bellcast bead is and how you use one, a picture would be great if poss
thanks
bill

i cant get my copy/paste to work........google render bellcast beads.

alistair,
i have found a pic of a bellcast bead, from what i can see it looks as thought you put this in place and render on top of it, am i right ??
if so, does that mean i have to remove the existing render/ pebbledash and re-render.
also am i right in thinking that originally there would have been a board....like plasterboard attached to the studding and that would have had the render/ pebbledash applied to it
thanks again for your help
bill

you can cut out the cast in a straight line using a grinder with a diamond blade, fit the lead apron, then lead sealant. the bead bridges over the channel. then you render over the bead, scratch coat, 2nd coat ,and hit/cast

you dont have to remove the existing pebbledash.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back