Rigid flu liner has damaged chimney stack.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As part of our semi-detached house we have a shared chimney stack with next door. This shared stack is in need of repair as it has a large crack running from the top to the bottom and may not last this winter. Now there were a couple of smaller cracks on my side of the stack which I have repaired myself and at my cost. Whilst repairing my side of the stack I noticed that next door chimney is lined with a rigid flu liner that I believe has been installed incorrectly. The company how installed the flu cemented the top of the flu to the top row of bricks on the chimney stack, when it heats up it naturally expands resulting in the lifting up the first row of bricks, intern letting in water, intern freezing at night, intern causing cracks in the brickwork etc etc

I need to know what the law says about this I’m sure that our joint chimney will be a joint responsibility to us both. However I believe that the damage had not been caused by general ‘wear and tear’ instead it has been caused by the incorrect installation of his flu liner.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back