Chimney Flashing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Further to a previous forum item about a chimney. Please find photos of chimney lead work on new chimney rebuilt above the roof line. As you can see there are no less than two damp proof courses. But I'm still getting water dripping in on the two sloping sides in the loft. The builder is returning to investigate. I'm no expert so, does anyone have any ideas just looking at the pictures.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Is the chimney used and if not is it capped?

We hate chimney leaks, generally they turn out to be porous brickwork and a lot of the GP don't realise that bricks soak up water and have to let it out somewhere, usually inside.

I can only see one dpc? Should be two lead trays fitted with weep-holes.
Does look a bit of a mess, you may have to get the 'builder' back to re-build it with proper trays - and less mastic!

nfield, sorry just read your previous post...

It would probably take the 7 months for the chimney to soak in the water and has now began to leak due to what i believe is incorrect dpc, it should be a lead tray inserted, and should look something like this http://justlead.co.uk/dpc-chimney-tray.html i believe the maker of this exact tray is a poster on here (justlead?) if used and fitted correctly your chimney should not be leaking still. I can see the builders have come back and used silicone/mastic around the flashings, if still leaking you have two options, one is to remove the chimney completely and tile over, second is your builder will need to re-build and use the correct lead tray(s), as his roll of dpc used will probably only be the width of the brick. Anyone building a chimney should really know this, and the building inspector passed it?? wtf

Sponsored Links
I lost interest as soon as i saw the chimney had been built AND TOPPED OFF using London Chilterns.

Ffs :rolleyes:

The roof tiles sitting above the back gutter don't look too clever. The guy has removed the seating lugs from the tiles and they are still not sitting right.

I think he has a problem using a lead dresser.

I don't think water is getting through the flashings, rather it is somehow getting behind the tiles local to the chimney.

Hi. If the trays were made and fitted correctly it is impossible for water to appear in this position of the stack. However if the stack was rendered and painted it is unlikely in my experience to allow water to impregnate the stack and soak down into the premises. But might look completely out of character.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back