Can you add extra height to a garage before changing roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a single storey detached garage with a flat roof, (c 4m x7m).

I would like to have the roof replaced with a pitched roof; and also, if possible, raise the height of the garage to provide a sort of small loft floor area as a little hobby room.

The walls are concrete block inside with brick outside on a big concrete base.

Is it at all possible to do?

Sponsored Links
Anything is possible including what you propose but you need to consider what effect the changes may have with regards to both Planning Permission & Building Regulations. These regulate its size, position, location (detached from or attached to the house), the new height of the roof apex & what you can use the new roof space for. Even though the garage is an existing structure, the apex roof will change things & be immediately obvious; a phone call to your local planning office would be the first place to start.

Thanks Richard. I just wondered if it was possible to do without demolishing and rebuilding the garage. I can see planning permission has been granted for very similar places locally although I think that the ones applied for mean to demolish and start again.

What is involved in making the building higher - would it be extra pillars in the corners or is there a way to determine how much weight the existing walls can bear to be raised by? Can anyone tell me what area the costs could be in?

Sponsored Links
It’s entirely possible you won’t have to do anything if the garage already has a double skin wall, single skin is the norm. You probably won’t need additional pillars but it depends how it’s been put together & what condition it’s in. You need to get at least 3 decent builders in to have a look at what you’ve currently got & quote for the additional work; I wouldn’t like to guess how much it will cost but a new pitched/tiled roof alone will be well into 4 figures.

You don’t need Planning Permission for a garage which falls within your permitted development rights & meets certain criteria & this may be the case with your neighbors’ garages. As far as raising the height of the structure goes, if the walls are sound, have been correctly built & the foundations are sufficient then you could, in theory, go up as high as you want but the governing factor as as far as PP goes is the new roof height but there may be additional factors involved. Similarly, Building Regulation submission may also be required, depending on the garage location & what you intend to use the new roof space for.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back