No felt just tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just went up into the loft of my new house and was rather surprised to see all the roof tiles sitting on the battons. Isn't it normal to have a layer of felt under the battons, or is this just indicative of the age of the property (1930s)? Is there any corrective action that should be taken? My surveyor didn't comment on this so I'm guessing it's not a big deal...

Sponsored Links
I'm guessing it's not a big deal...

you're right! theres millions of roofs without underfelt, its used as a 2nd line of defence in case of water ingress from any damage to the roof covering.
just make sure you keep your roof well maintained.

Look at it as a bonus.....my second house was 1930s and also had no felt.

It also had no leaks either and if it did you would see where from.

The best bit was that you could change a broken tile from the inside and no need for a ladder.

Sponsored Links
Yes noseall.....the type of tile i had was small enough to be able to remove it and change it through the batten from the inside, with careful manipulation it was possible.

Not possible with roofing felt but possible without.

I think the tiles were call john Bull, or brown ..I am sure someone here will remind me.

Roofing gynaecology at its best !

How the heck did you hold on to the tile, or indeed prevent other tiles from falling off? :eek:

I take it you set up a no-go zone beneath the damaged area? :p

The first ones the worst to get out but once done the rest is easy.

Being a small type of tile you could get it through the battens from the inside.

The type of tile had a lip completely along its back edge and not just two nibs, so plenty to hold on too.

As regards the safe area, around the front the garden protected the public, same round the back.

You just get the wife to stand outside and stop any one while task goes ahead.

Issue her with a tin hat first tho.

See if i can find a pic perhaps, although as i say i dont live there anymore.

Oh and very few were nailed.

Did the same for a friend, 3 storey hse with no access for ladders and backed onto railway so no way round the back way.Removed a cracked tile and replaced , also took a few more out and removed a broken timber to repair damaged fillet as it was within reach.

Tiles straight onto the roof space was the standard build in England in the 1930s. Using felt as a second line of defense came in at a later date.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back