The 'art' of 'sparking'.

E

EdwardCurrent

Hello All.
Not 'ranting', but more of an observation. ;) .
With modern 'containment' methods for electrical installations I feel that the 'art' of being an electrician in commercial/industrial environments is dying a rapid, untidy death.

Basket tray and a combination of LSF T&E AND FP have been used on the last two fairly large contracts I was on. Stubs of conduit were bushed and left in 'free air' (and as for some of the bends and sets I have seen in basket :oops: ). I think I was the only bloke on site with a bl**dy file.

Intelligent lighting systems and power distribution are just 'plug and go', no skill involved. I understand that the cost of doing a bib and braces job must be higher but aren't these 'modern' methods a tad rough. Using 'mates' and the odd (usually ;) ) electrician just to keep the work from getting totally out of control.
Are we working forwards, or backwards ?

Any comments, apart from "Get with it, you old fool" much appreciated.

Many thanks
Ed.

Sponsored Links
EC, your probably correct but personally I still get to do swa/mics/steel conduit etc. and lots of calls to fault find when the 'erbs' have gone!
I take heart from the mass of 5day wonders now abounding as they don't have a clue about anything out of the ordinary 'house-bashing' scene, and the longer it goes on the more secure work becomes for the truly qualified.
Unfortunately by the time this skills shortage takes hold I will be retired, if my pension/missus lets me!

Sponsored Links
Back