Lead flashing repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Ok, I have a leak coming through the ceiling on a bay window. Checked the outside and the flashing is loose. My first thought was just to wedge the flashing back in and repoint the mortar / use mastic but on closer inspection there is insufficient lead sheet to push back into the joint and wedge. Only between 5-10mm has been turned back into the mortar. Could I just get a second roll of flashing and fit this into the wall so that it sits over the original flashing to provide waterproofing?

What is the best way to repair this or will I have to get someone to replace the whole lot over the bay window?

Thanks
Steve

Sponsored Links
a roll of 225mm code 4 lead dressed in and over the existing apron will suffice.

225 is a bit wide/expensive :idea: there should be a separate cover flashing over the upstand anyway . :confused: 150mm code 4 25 mm for turn 5inches hanging down :oops:

Sponsored Links
Hi. When using sheet lead to cover a roof it is good practice to leave a 4" up stand at the wall abutment and fit cover flashing, say 150 mm code 4 sheet lead, turn an edge at 30 mm over the edge of a bench and simply fit it in the chase you cut with a disc cutter. This method allows any settlement / shrinkage of the roof movement without stressing the joint into the masonry. Just that which you are proposing for your repair. Good Luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back