Wiring diagram correct for 63A RCCB and 50A MCB?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon...

I've just bought a new place and scarily there's no RCD on the 10.8 kW electric shower. I had a sparky in to check a few things out and he said to get a standalone 50A 30mA RCD unit that goes next to the CU (rather than replace the whole CU which is a bit old).

I've got one but would it be bi-directional i.e. can I switch the In with the Out. My feed from the CU is from below but does that still have to be wired into the top of the RCCB as drawn below? Common sense tells me that it can be wired either way but I'm not 100% sure.

See here for the wiring I'm planning.. http://www.filedump.net/dumped/mcbrccb1259943821.jpg

Cheers for any advice you can give. I'll get a whole new CU once funds allow but I just want to protect the shower at the mo.

Buzz

Sponsored Links
No. Wire it correctly.

Is your electrician coming back to test this RCD?

..and correctly would be??

He'll check it when he wires in the heated floor next week.

Supply in the top of the RCD.

Shower wired to the N of the RCD bottom, and L of the 50A MCB.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, Steve

So the drawing was correct only if the supply was coming in the top.

There's a bar already connecting the L RCD load to the L MCB supply.

Much appreaciated.

Buzz

I suggest you get a larger enclosure, that one is barely big enough for the devices and it will be extremely difficult to get 10mm cables in there.

I think BAS was trying to point out that the shower is already fed from the CU - therefore should already be protected by an MCB/fuse.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back