Pilot Light on Back Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me please how to check and if necessary light the pilot light on a back boiler? Sorry, but I've no idea what is the make or model, so I'm hoping the photo below will be sufficient information.

Sponsored Links
the rectangular, brown, louvered piece underneath fire comes off to let you see pilot viewing window, and boiler thermostat

Turn lights out. Lay on your belly as though under fire look up at sight glass to the right. Hold in grey button which is on left side of gas valve while pushing orange button on piezo ignition to the left of it repeatedly without giving up until pilot lights, then hold it in for 40 seconds minimum and while praying remove pressure from grey button. If it stays lit you are in business, if it does not light or stay lit you need a Gas Safe Registered Personage.

Thanks for your prompt reply, glasgowgas. I'm trying to get a boiler going via Skype :D .

This is what's behind the panel:

There's no sign of a window, let alone a pilot light. I'm guessing however that it's gone out, so I'm trying to figure out how to light it. The knob marked 2 3 4 HIGH also has markings for OFF LOW 1, but no lighting position. The small black button below left of this knob (and somewhat hidden by the white cable) does seem to be an ignition button. Can you tell me please how to prepare this thing for pilot light ignition? Also, do you know where the pilot light window is?

Edit: Just saw your reply after posting, Paul. Hmmm, doesn't quite match what I can see, but I'll see if I can apply this information to what I can see. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
press and hold in the grey button

while pressing the black button in and out till it lights

then count to 20 and release slowly

can't remember where the window is look for the sparks :idea:

sorry have you seen Pauls post under mine, all Pauls info is dead on,

its hard to tell someone where the wee window is, but as soon as pilot is lit you will see it!!

push in grey button to the right of gas valve, hold in for 20,30 secs

start pushing piezo igniter repeatedly, start looking everywhere for signs of the spark or the small pilot. once pilot maintained, keep holding grey button for 30 secs then slowly release. if pilot stays lit, you sre good 2 go.

if pilot goes out repeat above procedure a furthe 3 times, if it still wont light you will have to get in an RGI

Edit: Just saw your reply after posting, Paul. Hmmm, doesn't quite match what I can see, but I'll see if I can apply this information to what I can see. Thanks.

Your button is black you see grey button to push in left of that is electric plug which giuves demand to boiler left of that is black button piezo ignition.

When the lights are out if it lights you will see the blue pilot flame above and behind the large brass nut on right side of gas valve in front of you.

If you see stray sparks from anywhere these need correcting, temporarily a bit of insulation tape around the white /translucent leed which is causing the sparks. Permanent fix is achievable by gas safe registered person.

It is a very common boiler and very easy for us to work on and repair. So don't be too scared of geting someone in to light it for you and run some safety tests.

This type of boiler requires for safety permanent ventilation, quite often it is a slotted metal piece in the floor. or it is in a wall. I see that you have laminated floor. I do hope when it was fitted the vent was not obstructed.

I cannot stress enough how important the vent is. Usually 70cm squared, but an engineer can tell exactly from the data badge.

I also recommend a C.O. detector and no ceiling fans for a boiler like this as they always result in spillage of products of combustion in the room in my experience.

When such a boiler has not been serviced properly for a number of years yellow flames reach out from underneath, a combination of this and no room ventilation is lethal.

Thanks very much for your help chaps. Some of the posts crossed, so I saw them all but not necessarily in the right order, to paraphrase Eric Morcombe.

The pilot light is lighting, but not staying lit. However, I notice that the grey button has a clockwise arrow and a bump on it, suggesting rotation is required. I'm told that the button does rotate, stops, and then springs back when released. Is there perhaps more to it than simply pressing the button?

As far as I can tell the pilot light went out at the exact moment the programmer went belly up. The programmer has been replaced, but I find it hard to believe the flame failure device died at the exact same time as the programmer, so I suspect the failure to stay lit is down to technique. My inexpert guess is the pilot light blew out as a result of programmer firing the boiler and then cancelling the demand a fraction of a second after the gas lit.

Thanks for the additional info, Paul. The boiler was serviced last year and from memory there is a CO alarm. There's no ceiling fan. It's comforting to know it can be repaired easily if it has indeed decided now would be a great time to stop working.

If we ever get it to light, I'll keep that in mind, kevplumb. But it looks like this boiler isn't going to fly (except out of the window). Are any of you RGIs in the Nottingham area, or can you recommend one? If so, please could you PM me contact details?

It's owner does indeed plan to get it repaired. My reference to launching it out of the window was a comment on the frustration of igniting an old-skool boiler - you would think the manufacturer would have at at least labelled the controls.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back