Do coping stones on roof need lead capping?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to exchange contracts on a flat, but there's an issue in the survey that is making me nervous about going ahead.

My surveyor says that there's a high risk of leaks if the coping stones on the parapet of the roof are not capped in lead, because eventually they will get saturated and dump water into the flat. The managing agent acting on behalf of the freeholder says that lead capping isn't necessary.

Who is right? I want to avoid leaks for the period of 5 years that I plan on being in the flat. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
It really depends on how the top of the walls are capped at present. Lead isn't necessarily required. How old is the property? Can you get a photo?

Ditto freddy.

Is it me or are surveyors talking **** on some subjects these days.Ive heard of more odd comments on surveyors reports lately.

Ditto freddy.

Is it me or are surveyors talking s**t on some subjects these days.Ive heard of more odd comments on surveyors reports lately.
I concur - what sort of coping stones do you know that hold water at all, yet alone become saturated? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Lead capping is not usual round here, but old stone coping tends to come loose in the joints as it expands and contracts over time, so occasionally needs to be rebuilt. If the managing agent is willing to back up his opinion by some kind of written guarantee against damp, or you being liable for future repair costs, then take his word for it.

Ask him.

If he isn't confident enough, that might tell you something.

Hi all, thanks very much for your help. I couldn't get a photo to load up - but the property is Georgian and at the moment the coping stones are bare, not capped in anything.

Hi. With older properties solid brick/stone work were used as opposed to cavity work and DPC. As the coping/joints become less effective over time, water can soak down through the brick/stone work and into the building. With this type of detail the outer wall becomes an inner wall once passed through the roof. The idea of covering the coping with sheet lead, zinc or copper is to provide a continuous membrane, impervious to water. However if fitted it is most important to form a drip edge at the lowest points, so as water drips off the coping rather than tracking back on to brick/stonework.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back