Best way to do old brick shed roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've got an old brick-built shed at the back of the house not physically conected, which has a concrete roof in dire need of repair as it's leaking where the felt's damaged. Originally roof seems to have been felted with shingles on top.

I know little about roofing practices and although I've asked chaps at work who claim to have been roofers as some part of their lives, I can't get a straight answer from any of them, nor answers from each that are the same.

How do I go about re-doing the roof? One said I should use a blowtorch to 'melt' felt onto the concrete, whilst another said never do that. Another chap said to use felt adhesive or bitumen paint to glue the felt onto the concrete roof and nothing else is needed. If that's right, do I just apply adhesive, put the felt on and that's it, roof done? What about where felt layers overlap, just a bit of adhesive between?

Any advice much appreciated as my tools are getting wet in there and the mould is gaining ground!

Sponsored Links
use bitumen primer then torch on underfelt then primer again and torch on cap sheet it will be absolutely fine if done right for upto 25 yrs

Thanks for that info. Would I torch on the felt after bitumen has dried?

Is it standard practice to protect the top felt layer by placing shingles, or just use sand-coated top felt? Or neither required?

torch on when its tacky i would use green mineral cap sheet on top of the underfelt wouldnt bother about shingles they are a pain in the arse use primer inbetween layers

Sponsored Links
Excellent, thanks for the advice. I now know all I need to start preparing for the job (not doing it till temperatures are higher!)

One last question has occurred to me, though: Do I lay both layers perpendicular to the slope direction, starting at the overhang (slightly sloping roof), but stagger the overlaps of the underfelt and cap sheet?

lay the underfelt across the slope then cap sheet running down as there is a slight overlap on cap sheet which can cause water to be held if layed the other way

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back