Roof Problem - Bats, Broken Mortar, Damp Patches - See Photo

Sponsored Links
Just a few things, have you left the loft hatch open at all?, i have been to see jobs where people have got the xmas decs out of the loft and have left the hatch open, the heat rises from the house and in cold weather forms moisture in the loft.
If you don't think you have a leak then im sure its a conditsation issue, looking at the photo at the ceiling above your curtains does the damp go right across ? if so then im sure it is.
The mortar on top of the insulation has just dropped off the batten, they used to do this to seal the roof, in my roof its mixed with horses hair, i think they used to call it bodging.
One last thing, becareful if you have bats because they are a protected species, you cant just get rid!!!!!
Hope this helps
Cheers
Dave

Just a few things, have you left the loft hatch open at all?, i have been to see jobs where people have got the xmas decs out of the loft and have left the hatch open, the heat rises from the house and in cold weather forms moisture in the loft.
If you don't think you have a leak then im sure its a conditsation issue, looking at the photo at the ceiling above your curtains does the damp go right across ? if so then im sure it is.
The mortar on top of the insulation has just dropped off the batten, they used to do this to seal the roof, in my roof its mixed with horses hair, i think they used to call it bodging.
One last thing, becareful if you have bats because they are a protected species, you cant just get rid!!!!!
Hope this helps
Cheers
Dave
Parging :idea: bodging is making furniture with green wood in the woods :idea: ;)

Sponsored Links
Hope this helps
Cheers
Dave

Thanks Leadman.

I'm thinking the problem in the spare room (on wall and ceiling) was condensation. The radiator in there is now working and I have a dehumidifier in there. So once I've completly dried it out, I will have to repaint the wall and wait to see what happens when it rains heavily. It's possible there could be a leak issue still.

I haven't left the loft hatch open at any point. I noticed some moisture on the underside of the slates but I think that's probably par for the course when there are sub zero temperatures outside and some heat escaping through my insulation (which isn't exactly well installed by the looks of it.)

So, do I need to have that mortar stuff replaced? How much would that cost? And what has caused it all to fall off, seeminginly in recent times?

I've been put off going for the roofbond solution. From what I can gather, the main problem with it would be that one side of the batons (at least) would be exposed to moisture and wouldn't have much room to dry out during the winter. So whether vents are used or not, rotting could set in.

Does anybody know what the white spore things are and if my roof seems to have anything to worry about?

Also, what is the white porcelain thing hanging from the hook? Is that bat related?

doent look like theres any ventilation in that roof at all.

Is there any wet or dampness on the bottom of the roof rafters?

AFAIK the rafters are the slanted timbers that support the slates and give the roof its pitch (slope), the horizontals are joists.

Be aware it is illegal to disturb or interfere with bats in any way shape or form. (I wouldnt say too much about it in case someone reports you. There are folk that obviously have nothing better to do than waste taxpayers cash and prosecute you for disturbing bats...)

Is there any wet or dampness on the bottom of the roof rafters?

Are we talking about the joists here that hold up the ceiling, or the slanted pieces of wood that hold the roof up?
The roof rafters are the joists from top to bottom where the tiles are resting on, I'm seeing the roof rafters are extended to outside under the gutter and I'm wondering if they are damp or wet

Thanks Leadman.

Also, what is the white porcelain thing hanging from the hook? Is that bat related?[/quote] Holy Marconi, Batman --it`s an insulator from the ariel of a cat`s whisker set ;) ...Torching not parging :oops: parging is in chimneys :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back