Won't pay for 1st fix, yet 2nd fix done by someone else

best advice so far is,

Go get your materials back.

you've not been paid for them so they are legally still yours

Sponsored Links
I know a small contractor (not in the domestic world) and he would get some sort of court order freezing the debtors bank accounts. I think, all he had to do was provide evidence of the debt and that was that - he always got his money.

With Limited Co's that's the absolute best way to get debts paid. Wife is an ACCA accountant as has to recommend such action 10+ times a year, if the business is trading (and wants to keep doing so) the debt will get paid.

Back to the OP..........

Legally you would be done for breaking and entering, malicious damage of property (plaster, sockets, walls) since to reclaim materials you would need access and would need to destroy 3rd party works (decor, plaster, paint)- So you can't do that !

You may well find that the 2nd fix sparks was knocked just like you !

You must establish who the person was, where he lives and where his works would be useful.

I'd assume that on the email he made instructions and agreed the work project start, content, etc
I'd assume a verbal contract (if all else isn't correct) was witnessed between you and the guy via your work partner / mate.

You then get a choice, ask a debt recovery firm to have a go- which keeps your hands clean, although adding to the costs.

You go and have a go- which could lead to complaints of intimidation, lies about assault etc

You go to the small claims court.

Personally I'd get his full name, check to poll register, check the land registry, find where he lives and works.
I'd then get a couple of debt recovery folk to sort it out. As a market trader he is likely to be a bit dodgy, ***** (without giving offence to gypsies) and so 2 big ex bouncers doing your dirty work would be best.

If this person deliberately set out to get you to do the work knowing that he had no intention of paying you, then he has committed fraud. Fraud is a criminal offence and is therefore a police matter.

Unfortunately, fraud is very difficult to prove. If you can identify other traders that he has failed to pay then the burden of proof might be in your favour.

Consult a solicitor.

Sponsored Links
you've not been paid for them so they are legally still yours

everyone knows thats not always true.

From what i saw on rougue traders on bbc tv,they are just about 100% the property owners!
That chap went and took half the block paving up,because he only received half the dosh.I think the police arrested him at dawn.They said in France it is criminal,but here its civil.Its the old Pay back £2 per week for ever when the builder wins the case.
The money stops coming after a few weeks and you have to do it all again.

You say he doesnt live in the property - has he sold it? If so, ask the occupants for a forwarding address.

If not, is it on the market? If so, get to him thru the agents?

if he is selling it, talk to a friendly property solicitor about putting a charge against the house. apparently this is simple to do, but i would imagine you would need to have verifiable grounds for doing this, like maybe a ccj - or even just evidence of unpaid invoices might do?

i only know the general concept, not the details, but worth a look.

when my ex put her house up, a solicitor friend called and asked if i knew it had been instructed and offered to put a charge on the property on my behalf.

Find out which market stall he runs ...gather as many of your family membersfriends as possible .....then stand round the stall and tell everyone what an anus he is ...don`t touch his goods and have someone videoing it all. ;) If he empties his wallet . say you`ll be back until it`s paid in full. :evil:

Back