Opinions please on my bodged roof!

If installing a 'flattie' then go with an unvented warm roof, and use foil backed plasterboards for the ceiling.

Sponsored Links
Am I right in thinking that if it was built over 10 years ago then it is now immune from planning regs?

If I contact the planning dept then could that possibly cause me further headaches?

Domestic extensions like this can be permitted development, i.e. don't need planning permission, but it depends on a range of factors such as the dimensions. There is a good chance this didn't need p.p. in the first instance.

However, even if planning permission were needed in this case, this type of development (a building) would be immune from planning control after 4 years, so I presume you are safe.

So even if planning permission were needed, no planning authority I know of would bother you if it is obviously over 4 years old. Strictly speaking, a certificate of lawfulness might need to be sought if the planning authority are being awkward, or if a future buyer has an over zealous solicitor. But you needn't worry about getting this done until the time comes, assuming it ever does.

If you give me the dimensions of the extension and the size of your garden, plus some other details like the dimensions of your house, I can tell you whether it is permitted development.

Thanks for the advice re the plaster boards and plywood.

johncrowther, thanks for the offer. I will take some measurements on Wednesday (my next day off).

Cheers

Sponsored Links
However, even if planning permission were needed in this case, this type of development (a building) would be immune from planning control after 4 years, so I presume you are safe.

If you give me the dimensions of the extension and the size of your garden, plus some other details like the dimensions of your house, I can tell you whether it is permitted development.
But as I’ve already advised on page 1; even though you may not need Planning Permission due to permitted development or possible immunity from planning enforcement, whatever work you do must still comply with current Building Regulations & will most likely need a submission; compliance with BR’s has nothing to do with Planning or Permitted Development.

Ive taken some measurements and

the total size of my plot (including house, extention, garage and gardens) is 46.5m x 8.8m = 409.2 m2
the original house is 6.4m x 7.2m = 46 m2
the extention is 6.4m x 2.5m = 16 m2
the garage is 5.2m x 3m = 15.6 m2

Im now considering increasing the length of the extention so that it will be about 8m x 2.5m, and then getting the whole roof sorted then.

Hope this helps with your calculations.

Thanks

[/quote]
But as I’ve already advised on page 1; even though you may not need Planning Permission due to permitted development or possible immunity from planning enforcement, whatever work you do must still comply with current Building Regulations & will most likely need a submission; compliance with BR’s has nothing to do with Planning or Permitted Development.[/quote]

I will make sure I check that any new roof work conforms with BR.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back