DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

baxi solo 3 circuit diagram

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plumbing and Central Heating
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
underwurlde

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:55 pm Reply with quote

[UPDATED POST]

OK, since the first post of my schemtic I have updated this (original) post becasue the original image was too crap to be read properly. I have therefore improved this image and also added the other two PCBs that I came across and rev-eng'd.

As you can see there are 3 different control boards of ever increasing complexitiy. I guess they've improved the design with the passage of time. I have therefore called them MKI, MKII & MKIII. This is just a naming convention that I alone have given them.

Please note that although I have strived for accuracy please do NOT assume anything is indeed correct! I just hope someone can make use of it.

These control PCBs are from a replacement kit #231711, the PCB number is 230260 and can be used to control Baxi Solo 2 PF / 3 PF / 3 PF Systems.

Cheers,

Andy

-------------

MKI
Schematic
MKI Schematic
MKI Schematic

-------------

MKII
Schematic
MKII Schematic
MKII Schematic

PCB Board (Front and back).
MKII PCB front
MKII PCB front

MKII PCB back
MKII PCB back

-------------

MKIII
Schematic
MKIII Schematic
MKIII Schematic

PCB Board (Front and back. Note Tracking view has been mirror imaged).
MKIII PCB front
MKIII PCB front

MKIII PCB back
MKIII PCB back

PS.
What a pain in the a**e that was to do. For some reason the images uploaded to DIYNot are compressed (?) and as a result degraded. Hence the addition of the PhotoBucket links to better qualitiy images.

Last edited by underwurlde on Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:24 am, edited 3 times in total
The following 4 users say thank you to underwurlde for this useful post:
rojaca (23 Nov 2010), ChrisR (8 May 2010), DP (8 May 2010), Fastnet (8 May 2010)
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
olly_k

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:32 pm Reply with quote

Wow I would seriously love to be trained up by someone like you mate. I know the last 'installer' I worked for (domestic boilers although I wasn't part of that side) would have turned their nose up at such an effort
icon_cry.gif

Great work and hope someone appreciates it!
 Alert Moderators
Fastnet

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 5:45 pm Reply with quote

Hi Andy,

What a fantastic job of reverse engineering you have done!

I'm an electronics design engineer of some 25 years and I sure know just how much effort it is to do what you have done!!

The only problem I have is that the resolution of the image you posted is a bit low and I could do a higher resolution version, so as to make the detail out better.

I wondered if you could post it on this forum or e-mail to me please (web.stuff@dsl.pipex.com), as this will be a god send for me as I fix the unit I have.

Many thanks in anticipation

Regards

Steve>>>
 Alert Moderators
mikely

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 8:39 pm Reply with quote

Fastnet wrote:

The only problem I have is that the resolution of the image you posted is a bit low and I could do a higher resolution version, so as to make the detail out better.

If you have uploaded a .jpg file, I suggest you upload it as a .png or .gif file which is much better for line drawings.
 Alert Moderators
Andygasman2010

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 9:00 pm Reply with quote

Impressive! I can barely make it out though....
 Alert Moderators
DP

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 9:13 pm Reply with quote

Now this is what I call talent. You get the cake and cherry on top as well.
 Alert Moderators
ChrisR

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 9:55 pm Reply with quote

Patience is what I'd call it!

I've been photoshopping and come up with this which is a little more legible. It would be nice if Underwurlde could repost a clearer version, though icon_smile.gif
 Alert Moderators
Fastnet

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 5:06 pm Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay in replying, just wanted to say thanks to ChrisR for the time spent on the enhancement.

A few more of the values are now visible and I can now have a bash at a testing the board.

I do agree with ChrisR that an original from Underwurlde would be the best option, so if you read this could you post it please....icon_smile.gif

Thanks Again......!!!
 Alert Moderators
underwurlde

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:24 pm Reply with quote

Sorry, sorry & thrice sorry folks!

I did not realize how crappy that image was! Secondly, due to being booted out of house and home by the (ex) wife, I have not been able to relaibly access the internet & hence emails etc. so was not aware of the problem!

Now that I am somewhat getting back on my feet I should be able to repost this image at a better quality. I have also rev-eng'd another version of this controller and I will post it up too (IF I can find it).

---------

It would amuse you all to know that I wanted to reverse engineer the PCB so I could work out what was going on and then hopefully fix a problem I had with my boiler. Turned out that there was NOTHING actually wrong with the PCB itself! icon_eek.gif

Turned out that the spark electrode was not positioned correctly and would not ignite the gas (which then started leaking - put that down to bad design of the electronics on the control PCB ) icon_eek.gif All I had to do to fix the problem was bend the electrode into a better position!

Apologies once again for not spotting your requests,

Andy icon_mrgreen.gif
 Alert Moderators
markfxy

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:39 pm Reply with quote

No wonder she booted you out should'va paid her a bit more attention icon_rolleyes.gif
The following user says thank you to markfxy for this useful post:
PEDANTICVINDICTIVEMAN (2 Nov 2010)
 Alert Moderators
underwurlde

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:20 am Reply with quote

LOL. She was the one who nagged & nagged me to fix the poxy thing.

Anyway, original post now updated to to include the other 2 PCBs I came across and use of better quality images (Thank you PhotoBucket!).

Enjoy. icon_wink.gif

Andy
The following user says thank you to underwurlde for this useful post:
ChrisR (3 Nov 2010)
 Alert Moderators
ChrisR

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:08 pm Reply with quote

Cool. icon_biggrin.gif
As a matter of interest, what s/w did you use to draw the circuits out? There's a couple I mean to do sometime.
 Alert Moderators
onlyfitidealboilers

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:15 pm Reply with quote

lost icon_lol.gif ha ha
 Alert Moderators
underwurlde

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:58 am Reply with quote

@ChrisR, I used the schematic capture capabilites of Protel 99SE (which has now transformed into Altium).

Just out of interest, the way I go about reverse engineering a PCB is thus:
First off I take a high quality well lit digital photograph of the PCB and then use PaintShop to mirror image it. I then import this image into protel.
Once imported I then place junctions on all solderable connections / vias and then place resistors / capacitors / diodes / ICs (which I 'expand' if necessary) etc to link up to these junctions & vias. Then I trace wires over the PCB tracking.

Once that is done I can delete the imported image of the PCB to end up with a rats nest of connections to all components which I then find far easier to constuct a circuit diagram from once the supply rails have been identified (and associated tracking deleted)

Andy
The following user says thank you to underwurlde for this useful post:
chuzzlewit (15 Nov 2010)
 Alert Moderators
chuzzlewit

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:38 pm Reply with quote

You are an absolute star, sir! Have had a Solo 2 for 12 years and have been searching (unsuccessfully) for a circuit diagram every time it went wrong (4th time now). Although I haven't fixed it this time, it has confirmed that R123 is 1K (the coloured bands are so cooked they have almost lost all their colour), so I will have to exchange the board - again.

I really hesitate to say this after all the time you've obviously spent on them, but if you wanted to make them even more useful, adding the component identifiers to the "Mk II" and "Mk III" diagrams (like you have in the Mk I) would make them truly complete.

I was interested to see that your board is also "toasted" around R123 (near the fuse) - obviously this one runs hot.

Regards, Martin
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plumbing and Central Heating All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: