Ford Focus 03 No screen washer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Focus 03, the pump is not going when I try to wash front or rear.
Is there 1 or 2 pumps, I would guess at 2 & on the same fuse. I have the manual the only mention of washers is for headlights & that fuse is not in the fuse box.
Have done plenty of searching cant find any help.

So is it 2 pumps on a common fuse? where is the fuse?
Ta for reading

Sponsored Links
Usually only one pump is used - it spins one way for the front wash and the other way for the rear.
As neither of yours seems to be working, locate the pump in the bottom of the washer bottle, disconnect the lead from it and see if 12v is there when the column switch is pressed.
If 12v is there, this means that the pump is goosed
If 12v is not there, often its the column switch at fault.
John :)

Thanks 4 that, the pump is an ar** to get at, thats why I wanted to check the fuse first.

Sponsored Links
The washer motor should be from the 20amp fuse 94 which is located in the fuse box behind the glove box, however if this pops I'd expect to see more stop working such as the wipers.

Have been told prob on same fuse as wipers, it will have to wait till warmer weather, dont just the car much, so not to much of a problem

Hi,

I have the same problem; wipers working but washer pump not spinning. Fuse not listed in handbook.

Could it still be frozen? I've done 250 miles in it today.

Is there a way to check (sticking something in through the filler) to see if it is frozen or not or is there a filter in the way perhaps? 12 months ago I had the washer bottle out and don't want to have to do it again if I can help it.

Thanks

John

I found the motor to be working when 12v battery applied to it separately.
The spade contacts were the problem- so a quick clean solved it. It's not difficult getting to the pump- jack up the car on nearside and unscrew right hand plastic wheel arch cover. Peel back, unscrew bottom washer bottle screw and swing bottle & pump to reach. Shouldn't take more than 1/2 hour.

Hi there, im having a similar problem with my '03 plate focus. The rear is working however the water is falling inside the car onto my parcel shelf! Am guessing this is due to a pipe coming off.
The front ones dont work at all, the wipers work but no wash, my husband took a quick look at it and he says that when i press the button the pump isnt spinning.
Would the 2 things be related or is it just a coincidence? Or has my pump motor gone up the creek??
Any advice greatly appreciated, car is due for an MOT in a few weeks so would like to get this fixed as cheaply as possible before then!

At the back of the car, your diagnosis is absolutely correct - the water pipe has blown off the nozzle.....this generally happens when the nozzle is frozen in winter.
You'll have to remove the tail gate trim to access the rear of the nozzle.
As for the front, there's a higher risk of pump failure rather than the column switch, so chance replacing that unless you have access to a test meter.
The pump plugs into the bottom of the washer bottle, and its available from a motor factors rather than Ford.
The washer needs to work for the MOT!
John :)

Thank you for your quick response. Its typical, i think my car knows its going in for its MOT so has decided to be awkward!

But at least i have an idea now what im dealing with :)

Sponsored Links
Back