lower tyre presure in snow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
if i lowered the presure in my tyres will they give me better traction in the snow and ice were all having lately. good or bad idea.

Sponsored Links
approx 4-5 psi lower than recommended will increase footprint of tyre and will help but don't exceed 20% of normal pressure that is what i was told by our tyre fiiter.

Sponsored Links
Certainly not recommended if you are going to drive fast on them but purely for driving on soft snow it will improve traction, but pump them up before setting out on the open road again.

Certainly not recommended if you are going to drive fast on them but purely for driving on soft snow it will improve traction.

From The AA website.
"Don't reduce tyre pressures to get more grip – it doesn't work, and reduces stability".

From Michelin websire.
"Our advice:
When setting your pressures with cold tyres (tyre temperature at the outside ambient temperature), set them to the vehicle manufacturers’ recommended pressures".

Thinking about it, my experience of increased grip at low pressure was with cross ply tyres, maybe its not as effective with radials.

Smooth acceleration, and breaking, possibly starting off in second gear, is what I understood to be the correct way to drive in snowy conditions, anticipation is vital to staying safe.

Wotan

just thought i was missing out on something the way other drivers speed in the snow.
must have afew idiots around these days, 30 years at the wheel just cant believe what i see others do,
nether mind atleast my car will stay straight "i hope"

http://www.rallybuzz.com/snow-tyres-dropped-wrc/

...Pirelli will replace the traditional skinny snow tyres with a version the same size as those used on gravel for Rally Norway 2009, according to Autosport magazine....

...Pirelli rally manager Mario Isola explained to Autosport:
"We've tested the new tyre and it's met all our expectations. It also fulfils our brief from the FIA to slow the cars.
The wider tyre does not bite through the snow as effectively, so the cars slide more. The wear might also increase, but we will see."

...the size has been changed as a cost cutting measure - it saves teams having to buy different sized wheels...

Snowshoes versus pogo sticks ?

:D

Anticipation and assuming you don't have ABS, use your gears more for deceleration.

Dropping the tyre pressures was one old trick for getting out of as hole if you got stuck, but ONLY to get yourself unstuck, not for driving on afterwards.

Motorcycle trials riders used to recommend blowing the front tyre up until it's flat, 'and if you press down the valve on the rear tyre, the air should rush in', but their machines have the tyres bolted to the rims instead of relying on air pressure to hold them in place.

Driving on sand and the like I think lower pressures are used to increase the tyre footprint and therefore reduce surface pressure per unit area - seeks to do what we do not want on snow - decreases tendency to sink hence 'float' - I guess the mud situation is similar.
Certainly the rally boys will shift ( subject to rules ) from wide wheel /tyres to skinny kit when snow driving... Also use M&S very open tread patterns which tend to 'self clean'... obviously seeking traction and control.
-o-

... Also use M&S very open tread patterns which tend to 'self clean'... obviously seeking traction and control.
-o-

which has been my biggest problem, snow building up, essentially giving me a "snow tyre" trying to drive snow on snow, not fun!!

generally been fine, with proper typre pressures, and driving steadily.

oh, and ABS dont work on ice...

Sponsored Links
Back