Pump for Lynx 2 ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, you really helped me a year or so ago with a pressure problem and was really gratefull.

But, now the pump has gone on my Lynx 2 combi and according to Potterton via my local heating shop, the pump is obsolete and there is no replacement. I've had no heating or hot water for a week and am desparate. The pump is a Wilo Salmson Gold Star-P. Can anyone suggest anything? Date of boiler is 1994.

Many thanks in advance - I'm bloody cold!

Bollbuster :cry:

Sponsored Links
Although the complete pump including special housing is obsolete.
You maybe lucky and be able to use the head off a standard Wilo pump they have changed slightly over the years so may not fit for the sake of 50 quid could be worth a try

Thanks for the tip, Ive emailed Wilo's technical dept to see if they can help with a replacement.
Anyone else got any ideas?

Bollbuster

I think that pump is a long shaft model which is no longer available.

However, it is possible to change the whole pump assembly with types which are available.

Tony

Sponsored Links
You are all really helpful and many thanks to all.

I've had a reply from Wilo saying that maybe their Wilo Gold 60 may fit but I do not know the dimensions so I can check if fits face to face. Anyone know?
Thanks again,
Bollbuster

I think that any normal pump will fit but would need a photo to be sure.

Grunfoss pumps are more tolerant to the dirt in your system.

Tony

Just had a look at the instruction book and it looks like it does not have a special housing and pump connection are both standard size.
Have a look at your pump and if both the unions at either side are the same size then any 15/60 pump should fit but have it on speed 3

Or beter yet change the blooming boiler......pile of dog do, cheaper in the long run i promise you

Thanks to everyone for their help.

I'm being told the Wilo Gold RS60 or Wilo Smart B will both do the job.

Does anyone have any preference ?

Thanks again Guys

Bollbuster

As I said before, the Grunfoss is more tolerant to dirt.

Merely chaning the pump does not get rid of dirt.

If the old pump failed from dirt then the Wilo will fail quicker!

Tony

Well I got the Wilo Gold RS60 from my local Screwfix yesterday for £44, started draining down at 2pm and was running a nice hot bath at 4pm.
Everything seems to be ok and had it running on speed 2 till I realised this morning and put it on 3 as you have recommended - but why is that, out of interest?

Anyway thanks again to everyone on this :D

It is a low water content boiler and the water within it needs to move fast so it does not cause localised boiling thus noise and scale.
Agile the old pump more likely failed with age than dirt , stop scare mongering next you will be saying he needs a magna clean

Pumps dont fail from just age.

The most usual cause of most pump failures is seisure or worn bearings as a result of dirt in the system.

1990s Salmson pumps unfortunately had capacitors which lost their capacitance and thus caused a loss of torque.

Where possible I just replace the capacitor as thats cheaper for the client and easier for me.

A combi boiler is designed around a higher power pump running at full speed so that the maximum heat transfer is obtained on DHW mode.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back