HolidaySeason Retainers.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Over this Christmas period I have been called by other companies, estate agents, service companies, maintnance companies etc wanting some one to attend a break down or cover for unfinished work. Now, this got me thinking. These companies will possibly be taking fees, commision or even paid a service charge for providing there management expertise whilst at the same time passing non of this on to those that are often the most disrupted and whom without cannot continue their service . That is to say the sole trader tradesman/woman. Is it time sole traders started 'selling' retainers on the lead up to holiday periods?
Or do you already do this and how have you faired?
Have you any advice for those that dont exploit this legitimate sales option?
Ater all isnt it only fair that every one is paid for there service?

Sponsored Links
If they want it done urgently and it's bank holiday/xmas/new year etc. then charge more accordingly :confused:

not the point he's trying to make..
he wants to get paid for sitting on his bum waiting for a phonecall that may never come.. just like employed people do when they are "on-call"...

Sponsored Links
Ah right, fair enough. Can't see it working really , I guess you would have to have a good relationship and try and negotiate the retainer with each 'service company' you are subcontracting for and I can't see, say, an estate agent paying you a retainer just in case they need to call you out. Why not just charge more? (or decline the work if they don't want to pay or you are too busy)

ColJack you do make me laugh 'just like employed people do when they are "on-call"..

Fortunately Im not asked to go on call in my job but if I did there's no way I'd do it for no money, you have to have a standby rate

there's no way I'd do it for no money, you have to have a standby rate

Which fortunately we do and it paid quite handsomely this year! £225 tax free and no call outs!

:LOL: :LOL:

No harm in trying, if it's a company you have a good relationship with they might be happy to "buy your loyalty" as it were. :idea:

The thing to remember is that a contractor still has to make a profit, even when they just hire in subcontractors. Otherwise they wouldn't do it! Corporate customers aren't worried about saving a few quid, what they want is a guaranteed quality of service. So they hire in a contracting company even though it's more expensive.

Then they can have a contract which states something like

"If any pipe on our site bursts, whatever size or construction, at any time of day, on any day, a contractor will be there within 30 minutes to shut off the supply, make necessary repairs and recommence supply."

Sponsored Links
Back