frozen gutters, water now flowing into house! :(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
with all the snow we've had the gutters on my house have frozen solid so much that there is now a dam of ice going up over the first row of tiles.

I noticed water dripping in around the back door and through one of the air vents in the window. on inpsection in the eaves i can see ice on the internal wall and water is starting to spread. Not checked the full length of the eaves to see the extent yet.

my roof has flush eaves, no fascia board with the gutters attached to the wall. The roof is felted with concrete tiles.

The dripping has stopped, I assume because it's -5 right now. Been up to clear as much snow as I can (got at least 1ft on the roof) but this is going to get worse before it gets better i think.

not sure what to do?

i'm also concerned as my halfix buildings insurance says "frost" is not covered under the storm section although this is more a melted.frozen snow problem.

Sponsored Links
Google ice dams. They are a serious problem in some parts of America and Canada.

We have ice dams and massive icicles formed all round the bottom of our roof. We have a huge roof and about a foot of frozen snow on top of it. I have been fretting about it all day and have just sent hubby out with a ladder and a hammer and chisel to chip a channel in ice as we are due a small thaw tomorrow. Wish him luck!!! :LOL: we have also tried making our own ice thaw sock using rock salt in a mesh bag. Melting very slowly tho...

My soffits have frozen water in them, and water is dripping in, over the top of a window frame. PITA !
John :)

Sponsored Links
well, after hours and hours of work i removed as much snow as my snow shovel could reach when on my ladder, the i chipped out some ice from the gutter and some from the roof, poured hot water in the gutter to create a channel that flowed away, then put rock salt on the massive lump of ice on the roof, thankfully we had a spell above zero degrees overnight and the worst has gone.

I didn't do the front of the house as it didn't appear to be leaking and with the last couple of days being 3-5 degrees it's diminishing nicely.

fingers crossed my leak was just due to ice build up and was only a temporary problem.

Thanks for naming your "insurer" I will be leaving them myself @ renewal time .. what you said don`t surprise me ...allegedly

Many years ago or washing machine got stuck on the boil cycle when we were out all day; we arrived home quiet late to a house full of steam & initially thought the place was on fire! Most of the kitchen cabinet doors were ruined as the Formica facings (remember that stuff!) had delaminated & the chipboard was swollen but the insurance company declined my claim on the basis that I was covered for flooding but the damage was caused by steam! Eventually, after some serious rows, they agreed to pay for new doors if I DIY fitted them; I couldn’t dump the insurance company as it was in the days when you had no choice but to use the mortgage companies insurance.

Footnote; Underwriters call the shots so most insurance companies have the same conditions/exclusions these days, it's mostly the policy excess that changes; worth checking as switching may not give a better result. ;)

just to be clear, I didn't contact the insurer, i just read my policy booklet and under the section "Storm" it has a "what is not covered" section which just says "frost" underneath

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back