Shrader Valve - Expansion Vessel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Forum, not posted on here for years!!! Now back with a question.

I have an Ideal Classic RS Sealed System boiler. It is about 13 years old.
Recently the pressure has been dropping on the gauge. This is due to the air valve on the Expansion vessel being a little leaky. Nothing dramatic but it looses pressure over time and needs constant pumping up. The diaphram seems OK as no water comes out of the valve. No drips from pressure pipe.

I tried to replace the valve insert as per a car or bike tyre but it would not come all the way out. Now the valve is more leaky than ever :( It seems like it should unscrew but not all the way.

Any ideas? It seems a shame to replace a perfectly good expan vessel at £70 for the sake of a part that cost 70 pence.

Thanks In Anticipation

Nick (Mad Designer)

Sponsored Links
give it a bit more welly..
if it breaks then you're no worse off than you are now in as much as you'll have to change the vessel anyway...

also, could you not get / make up an extension with another shcrader in ito screw onto the valve?

give it a bit more welly..
if it breaks then you're no worse off than you are now in as much as you'll have to change the vessel anyway...

also, could you not get / make up an extension with another shcrader in ito screw onto the valve?

Actually - that is not a bad idea. If I can get a bit of threaded tubing (internal and external) and a long threaded nut I have enough space to just extend the exisiting valve. Good thinking.

Any idea what the thread is on these valves?

Sponsored Links
Thanks ColJack,

Just the thing! Great stuff. I have a motor factors round the corner I'll try them in the morning. Excellent help. thank you very much

Just to say I tried all the car motor factors round here and none had any and did not stock them either :( I was about to give up when I remembered that even closer by was a motorcycle shop. They had just the thing as the above ebay link - but even cheaper, with no postage and no waiting. A result :D

Nick

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back