New ceiling light fitted.....now RCB tripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a new house. Had an electrician install a BIG ceiling light this week and I mean big. Its a 20 x 20w spiral with an inbuilt transformer. Looks superb but a couple of times when turning it on the RCB for that circuit trips. It resets ok but not sure what the problem is. Any advice please?

Sponsored Links
RCB is wrong

do you mean MCB?

Or RCD?

What is printed on it?

Chances are if is a fitting with low voltage lamps and a transformer in it then your electrician has not taken into account the surge on a circuit containing a transformer. Get him back and subject to the maximum EFLI values being acceptable he needs to change the MCB to a C type to overcome this problem. If its the rcd that is tripping chances are he has pinched a cable or something when installing it.

Nick

Sponsored Links
Chances are that as expected Ban all Sheds will give a sarcastic good for nothing unhelpful answer to a question he has no real knowledge about. The OP has not come back to confirm if it is an RCD or MCB yet you jump on the bandwagon AGAIN to criticise the oppinons of a tradesman . Who is to say the rcd is not faulty if it actualy is an RCD. If you cannot post a helpful reply to the OP question may i kindly suggest you keep your sarcasm to yourself.

The OP has not come back to confirm if it is an RCD or MCB yet you jump on the bandwagon AGAIN to criticise the oppinons of a tradesman .
The OP has not come back to confirm if it is an RCD or MCB yet you have decided, if it is an RCD, to criticise the work of a tradesman.

Who is to say the rcd is not faulty if it actualy is an RCD.
You, as in "If its the rcd that is tripping chances are he has pinched a cable or something when installing it", rather than "If its the rcd that is tripping chances are that it is faulty".

If you cannot post a helpful reply to the OP question may i kindly suggest you keep your sarcasm to yourself.
I'm not sure how helpful your reply was to tell the OP that if it's an RCD that's tripping it's probably due to an intermittent earth fault when you think that the RCD might be faulty.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back