Leak in flat roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a flat roof over our kitchen thats had a good 8 inches of snow sitting on it over the last couple of weeks.

Now we've got pooling water in the kitchen since the thaw and it looks like water is running down inside the wall cavity and pooling where the wall tiles and floor tiles meet.

I've been up on the roof and there is a 1cm split in the felt where the flashing meets the flat roof and so it looks like the snow has thawed and gone into the wall cavity here.

I've just had a roofer look at it and said the roof itself is a good solid concrete roof so doesn't need replacing but where the flashing meets the roof needs coating with rubber - I've asked him to cover the whole roof with the rubber and not just the flashing. He was fine with this.

but just got a call from another roofer coming to give me a quote - said he uses felt and its as good as the rubber - is this true?

Also, on the exterior of the wall that the water is running down is very damp - I'm getting this repointed same time as the roof - will the bricks dry out naturally inside and out?

Sponsored Links
Hiya m8

I've used both the rubber and felt methods.. Alot of people will prefer the rubber roofs as its quicker, easier and looks better, however, based on experience, I would go for the felt, seems to last longer.

On a cool day the rubber is smooth and looks good, on a hot summer day the rubber will crinkle. If you have anyone on the roof for any reason, sky, roofers, BT etc, it doesn't actually take much to damage the rubber. Where as the felt is more durable.

Just from experience, completly up to you

Cheers - getting quotes for both rubber and felt - thanks for the advice.

sounds more like a cavity tray -or lack of- problem than a whole flat roof re furb :confused: ..Could you be spending money on the wrong thing :?: Picture would be useful ;)

Sponsored Links
To be honest - it turns out the problem is not with the roof but a faulty valve on the washing machine - that was the reason for the pools in the kitchen :rolleyes:

Although before we deduced this I'd gone on the roof and found it does need recovering with felt/rubber - all the roofers we've had out to look at it have said the roof is sound - it's a flat concrete roof (apparently!) with a good slope on it - but all agree it needs a new covering.

I initially thought it was the roof that was leaking, as the previous owner was a diy 'expert' and his handywork around the house has always left me to look for worst-case scenarios...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back