Different Gas Meter Sizes (R5, U16...) Comparison Table!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get a table with information on different gas meters and their capacity (in cubic meters)?

I have an existing R5 meter (which as far as I understand is imperial and rated in cubic feet) but am not sure what the actual capacity of this meter is? I am looking to install some new plant (boilers, CHP, direct fired DHW heater) and am sure that the meter will need to be upgraded. One other point is that the existing supply seems to be around two inches.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Most domestic gas meters are rated at 6 cu mtrs/hr. or in your case imperial 212 cu ft/hr. which converts to 6 cu mtrs/hr. The capacity you should be able to see printed on the dial/read out.The R5 refers to an index which has an output pulse which can be used for on site data logging or remote modems.
Generaly domestic meters are refered to as U6(mechanical) E6(electronic) =6cu mtrs/hr.
Depending upon your requirement you may need a U16 =16 cu mtrs/hr.
The sizing of the meter requirement involves a modecum of complicated maths based on all of the appliances input or outputs and will be done by the gas transporter, who is responsible for the meter

Thanks for the reply although I am still slightly confused abotu how I can work out the size of the existing meter. The only numerical markings on the meter are R5. Does this correspond exactly to the U scale? For example an R5 = U6, R6 = U7...!?

I have found a manufacturer that supplieda number of different meters and there are q few different sizes with different letters such as:

G1.6 / G4 / G4P / U6P / E6 / SC6 / G6 / G6P / G10 / U16 / U25 / U40 / U40P / G40 / U65 / U100P / U160P

What does the G, P and E stand for in these sizes and how does it all relate to the U sizes and R sizes?

Thanks a million!!

Look very closely at the meter index the capacity must be printed on it, usually in very small print (can you post a pic)
All those model types you quoted, all you are interested in is the digits
ie from 4 to 160 cu mtrs/hr. Not sure what all of the letters mean, maybe some manufacturers id.
I do know the U means mechanical mechanism (diaphragm) and E means electronic mechanism ( sensors that look at time of flight in the gas stream)
The R5 has nothing to do with capacity, it just means that the index provides a pulse switched output that can be used for on site data logging

Sponsored Links
Typical example

iyfsd2.jpg

hi is this a unit factory or a house with a 2inch service its normally a factory unit looking at that meter i would say its a u6

as to calculating the size of meter you would need to find out how much gas your new appliances and existing appliances will need you gas network or supplier woul beable to help

Betacom 24 combi boiler glow worm,radiators not getting hot!,the boiler fire's up,the hot water side works fine!,checked the operation of the pump the impeller rotates on all three speeds,but very hot to touch,also found a small leak on the back of the 3 way valve,can any one advise me on the fault and give me remedy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back