What does this mean "Not registered for VAT."

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I phoned an installer for a quote for servicing my year old boiler, I queried whether the sum quoted was inclusive of VAT.

He replied that was it in total as he wasn't registered for VAT.

I thought all businesses had to charge VAT.

Please enlighten me :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
no
i'm not vat registered so i can't charge vat and can't claim it back when i pay it out.
its an option to register if your under £68000 a yr gross turnover.

If the business turnover is less than the threshold which I think is 68 k then you do have to be vat registered, you can choose to be if you want to. Over that figure you have no choice and must be vat!

im not VAT registered either.i refuse to collect money from my clients on the govts behalf.this means,i can charge less than my VAT registered competitors.i realise there are benefits to being VAT registered.

Sponsored Links
there are advantages, it depends where you source the bulk of your work .

benefits of being registered for vat are that all your purchases (materiels, van, diesel etc) you will get a refund on the vat that you have paid on them for example for every £10 diesel that you spend you will get the 17.5% back. BUT you have to collect vat from your customers, you must invoice them plus VAT. Overall benefit is F*** All, every 3 months you will have hand over the difference between your purchases and your output sales also dont forget the extra paperwork, lose customers because your competitior will do the job cheaper, and every so often you will have the vat man visit you and he will bring with him a pair of latex gloves so that he can do a inspection of your rectum..

I thank all who responded to my post.

It is much appreciated :LOL:

If you work mainly for non-VAT registered people, there is no point registering for VAT as your prices will be higher as you have to charge your customers VAT. But if you do a lot of work for VAT registered firms, you should register as you will be able to claim back the VAT on your purchases (Input Tax) and your customer will be able to claim back all the VAT you pass in to them. You effectively pay HMRC the difference between the VAT you pay out and the VAT you receive. Many companies will not work employ firms which are VAT registered.

Does this mean that if you buy a service from a non-VAT registered plumber, you as the purchaser have to make separate arrangements to pay VAT on the services you have procured?

It still never ceases to amaze me how little people understand about the tax system.

Bottom line - if you earn money you have to pay tax (after certain allowances etc have been deducted and not liable for tax). This is Income Tax and has nothing to do with VAT and invoicing.

VAT - as has been explained above, a business may be registered and charge VAT to customers. If not registered, no VAT to be charged but cannot be claimed back. Non-registered businesses will often ask the customer to buy goods so the money does not go through the business books and possibly raise turnover to the compulsory registration threshold.

As far as the customer is concerned there may be little difference in the end cost but VAT registered business MUST charge VAT so could be more costly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back