DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Is a long single panel radiator better than a shorter Double

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plumbing and Central Heating
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Udhi

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:42 am Reply with quote

Hi all,
Just about to order STELRAD Softline radiators. All go underneath windows in various rooms. Most questions have been answered via this site.

Just sat here, phone in hand wondering if I should be ordering longer single panel single convector radiators or go for shorter double panel double convector radiators as replacement....

The originals were 2000mm long single panel rads. This is just about the total length of the windows.

Which ones would heat up a room quicker and be more efficient?? A 2000mm long single panel radiator with convector fins (like Stelrad Softline K1) or a 1200mm long Double panel Double Convector number (K2)??

uneducated guess suggests the 2000mm due to more surface area exposed to the room air...but there might be other important calcs I am not taking into consideration.. icon_confused.gif

TIA
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
namsag

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:50 am Reply with quote

large singles in front of a window tends to look a lot better than a small double stuck in the middle. Also it helps blanket the cold you will get from a large window better
 Alert Moderators
Diyisfun

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:51 am Reply with quote

Its about the output.
If you get a double it wont be as big.
A long single will be slimmer.
I think I would go for a double that was oversize for heat requirement, you can always set for lower but cannot get more out of a small one.
 Alert Moderators
Agile

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:07 pm Reply with quote

Longer rads give more even heat output to the room so should always be preferred.

Most installers think its easier to fit doubles and as there are often less brackets then it is.

Just not such a good job and what I would call a semi-cowboy because they choose to do a less than best job.

Tony
 Alert Moderators
Happyplumber

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:19 pm Reply with quote

Use a heat loss calculator,plenty online and work out what output you need,from there you can choose what kind of radiator you require instead of guess work!

Aesthetically a long slim rad almost to the size of the window looks more pleasing to the eye,or maybe i am use to it being done this way

installer bashing again agile?
 Alert Moderators
Udhi

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:56 pm Reply with quote

Thank you for the quick reply, folks.

I am aware of the BTU reqs, I am planning to install radiators slightly beyond the requirements, just as the DIYISFUN was thinking. The concern was one of aesthetics and of efficiently heating the entire area.

Although a small double puts out the BTU of a single that is almost 30% longer, I am not convinced it would do so, as quickly. Reason in my bird-brain is that the second panel is tucked away between the first and the wall - not as much airflow over it, apart from convection currents.

Righto, hows this for a plan; a 1200 double in each bedroom, and two 2000mm singles in a 30 foot lounge.

Thank you again, for clarifying things for me.
 Alert Moderators
Agile

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:16 pm Reply with quote

Happyplumber wrote:

Aesthetically a long slim rad almost to the size of the window looks more pleasing to the eye,or maybe i am use to it being done this way

Most people think they look best a bit longer than the window ( which makes them about the same width as the curtains! ).

A 2000mm single is the same output as a double about 1200 as the rear panel is partly obstructed by the front panel.

If the Happy Plumber went for a hernia or knee repair job ( common repairs needed on plumbers ) then I am sure he would expect the surgeon to only do the best job possible.

In the same way I expect any plumber to also do the best job possible. Since the customer is paying thats even easier than for the surgeon who may have NHS targets to meet. In the plumber's case I think its justified to call those who choose to do a less than "best" job a semi-cowboy.

Tony
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plumbing and Central Heating All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: