mould on wood in loft space

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm a first time user.

In summer I bought some water based treatment for wood boring insects and sprayed it in my left. However now I have mold growing on the wood. i.e white and slightly hairy and black spot. It is not sever and brushes away

I know the loft ventilation is good as I recently had ventilation added by a reputable guy and the loft space does feel aired.

I think the mold is due to my treating the wood with the water based treatment.

I am also considering treating the wood to get rid of the mold and preserve it.

My questions are 1. what are your thoughts on my mold problem. 2 what product would you suggest to treat the wood

Regards

Sponsored Links
how many litres did you use and was it during the summer
was the ventilation added after or before

does your loft feel draughty!!

is your house moist? Do you drape wet washing or towels on radiators, or shower without using an extractor? Have you got holes in the ceilings for downlighters, or do you leave the loft hatch open or draughty? Have you recently been replastering or using emulsion paint? Have you got an unvented tumble-drier?

Usually a wet loft is due to warm moist air from the house rising up and causing condensation. It can be steam from hot or uncovered water tanks, or leaks from plumbing or tiles.

What prompted you to improve the ventilation, and what ventilation is there?

What has the outside weather (temperature and rain) been like over the past few weeks?

Guys,

Thanks for your replies. As further information, my house is about 250years old but the roof is relatively new with new tiles etc...the guy who i bought the house from was a roofer by trade. the extra ventilation that i had put in i can't remember what it was exactly but it was around the base off the roof around the soffit area. I can feel a gentle draft in my loft though. I was prompted to get more ventilation as there was evidence of mold already. I am not sure how much wood worm treatment I sprayed up there but I saturated it. I did this last summer and this was just after the new ventilation had been added.

regarding condensation and towels etc I used to get condensation on some of the outer walls upstairs but I have solved this by simply keeping the bathroom door shut when having a bath and opening a window. I do not have a shower. My loft hatch is new and sealed. I have no down lighting in the bathroom and the integrity of the roof in there is good as it was replastered and renovated about 18months ago. The only towels that I will put over a radiator is in the bathroom but the door is shut and this is not a regular thing. the tumble dryer is vented and is downstairs in room that has a different roof to the main one. I do not have a hot water tank as I have a condenser boiler. it is situated in the bathroom and is regularly serviced. there are no pipes in my loft and no suggestion of leaking tiles in the loft.

The weather since summer has been one of the coldest on record and has rained alot.

Writing this now it sort of makes me feel that the new ventilation has not been in long enough to cure it completely and my saturation up there with the water based treatment during the summer has only temporarily added to the existing problem.

I think that answers everyones questions I hope. Just for info I am planning on changing all the old loft insulation for new shortly and I am wondering if it is worth treating the timbers up there with a wood preservative. if so what?

Again everybodies thoughts are much appreciated

Sponsored Links
Find a friendly local surveyor with a Protimeter moisture meter and ask them to check the moisture content of your loft timber. I've done this dozens of times for people for no charge. It's the only way you'll know if your timbers are too damp.

PS Don't bother with £4.99 ones from China off ebay. There's a reason the Proti costs three hundred quid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back