Power Flush Needed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Hopefully someone will give me some advice on this. Just had the BG man come round to service the boiler and also we have an issue with the Kitchen radiator.

He says it's sludge and needs a powerflush and magnaclean for a princely sum of 700 notes.

Now from my understanding (admittedly not much of one) but if sludge was a big problem then lots of the radiators would have the problem not just the kitchen and to a lesser extent the dining room. One radiator upstairs needs bleeding regularly.

Would just buying a new radiator for the kitchen and then just having the magnaclean fitted be a cheaper option or am I just putting off the inevitable?

Cheers
Stokesy

Sponsored Links
Its cheaper to get a local heating engineer rather than pay the BG big company prices. They have their shareholders to pay! I don't !

Most independents charge about £350 to powerflush and add inhibitor and about £140 to fit a Magnaclean at the same time.

If you prefer to pay £700 to BG then thats your perogative!

What you have described is typical of sludge. Just replacing one rad will not remove the sludge from the rest of the system.

Tony

I have no intention of paying BG to do the work I was just trying to ascertain if they (or anyone else who comes round for that matter) is over playing the problem.

if ya do get someone else in make sure they do a proper job, as bg wont make good any cock ups

Sponsored Links
A B/G powerflush is guaranteed for the full life of the system, (provided you stay on the homecare shockingly enough and as long as you own the house.... ie; if you sell the house, they won't guarantee it for a new owner).... Or at least it was when I worked for them.....

However, without meaning any disrespect to B/G or their engineers, they have targets to meet and are under a lot of pressure to sell upgrades.... This as it happens is one of the main reasons I left..... Not saying you don't need a powerflush, just saying, be carefull.....

Martin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back