Blocked drain off Kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies in advance if none of this makes sense as i am female and no nothing about drainage.

Been having problems in that we have a drain that sits under a pipe that comes out the kitchen from our sink/washing machine/dishwasher that keeps blocking up.
For a start we thought it was leaves and debris in the top and cleared this which used to then let the water flow down. More recently it has been proper blocked deep down as the water dosnt seem to want to go down it. My father in law had his whole arm in up to his shoulder and couldnt feel anything. Used drain rods but it just goes straight down. No bend or other pipes coming off if that makes sense so he was wondering where the water goes? Does it just soak away into the driveway?
Anyhoo in the end he used a little jug to scoop all the water out as a temporary measure. The water was all grey and smelly.

Running alongside this i thought my washing machine was playing up as it dosnt appear to fully drain all the water out and seems to be taking dirty water in making our clothes smell.
My partner did pull the machine out and take the waste pipe off and clean it all there was no blockage. He took the pipe off the outside wall and cleaned that all out and no blockage there either.

So where possibly could there be a blockage??

Also the water in the bathroom is very slow at draining out the bath and sink. There is a pipe comes out bathroom into the same style big hole/drain like the kitchen and this frequently backs up with water too.

We are in a bungalow. Rented so im guessing i should be onto the ladlord monday as it is all such a headache what is going on with all the drains??!!
Plus our cold water tap had just stopped working in the bathroom..very bizzare.

We have been here 2 years. When we first moved in our landlord had us connected up to the mains sewerage. The company that did it (my partners ex employer lol) did a bodge job as my partner watched them do it and said the pipes wre not layed on pea shingle or something? wernt really paying attention! Does anyone think it could be to do with the way the pipes were connected up? We have like 4 inspection chambers my partner is going to have alook in when he gets time but hes been so busy with work lately but something is going to have to be done.

I was hoping for some advice i could pass on to him when he gets home and before i see the landlord on monday.

Thank you!!!

Sponsored Links
Apologies in advance if none of this makes sense as i am female and no nothing about drainage.

Thats ok. The bride (my mrs.) knows nothing about drainage either but she does know when it don't work.

Having read through your post it seems to me that there may be a problem with part of the main drain which may need clearing.
As you are renting the house get on to the landlord straight away and get it sorted ASAP.

Used drain rods but it just goes straight down. No bend or other pipes coming off if that makes sense so he was wondering where the water goes?
How far did the rods go down? There is usually a trap fitted here. same thing as under your sink only bigger. A std rod will not go round the bend of the trap.

Running alongside this i thought my washing machine was playing up as it dosnt appear to fully drain all the water out and seems to be taking dirty water in making our clothes smell.

Check how the WM hose is connected to the drain/trap. It should rise above the connection then drop in to it to prevent the waste water from the sink running back down the WM hose.

Plus our cold water tap had just stopped working in the bathroom..very bizzare
Coincidence but get that looked at too.

We have like 4 inspection chambers my partner is going to have alook in when he gets time but hes been so busy with work lately

If he worked with the mob who put the drains in he must have a bit of an idea. It would take no more than 10 mins to lift 4 manhole covers and have a look.
Tell him not to be so lazy and you are not cooking, cleaning etc and he is sleeping on the settee until he looks at it. ;)

lol at that last comment.
thank you very much for your reply!!
i was on him as soon as he woke up this morning so he went out before work and got his arm in. He said it has a trap which seems to have a solid blockage. He used his rods again with a plunger on the end but it wouldnt budge...god it smells too lol
what would you recommend to unblock it?
im gonna see landlord monday about our tap but was hoping i could give 1 less problem as our blimen front door wont latch on to shut properly so gotta say about that now lol...im gonna be a rwally annoying tennant!

i was on him as soon as he woke up this morning

Bribery can work too :LOL:

what would you recommend to unblock it?
http://www.pipetechindustries.com/prod.php?p=46
Spring rods will go around the trap or it may need water jetted. It may be just something stuck around the bend of the trap. Might be able to pull it out.

It is not a nice job and sometimes needs a strong stomach.
The landlord should get some drain guys over to have a look.

Good luck ;)

Sponsored Links
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
The bend is just out of reach.
I think hes gonna try and rod from the inspection end as his rods dont seem to wanna bend at the bottom to get in the trap iyswim?
Im kinda thinking its my fault as ive been a naughty girl putting fat down the sink :oops: in my defence i used to boil the kettle and put it straight down after.

Im kinda thinking its my fault as ive been a naughty girl putting fat down the sink :oops: in my defence i used to boil the kettle and put it straight down after.

Oh dear :eek: Don't do that as it solidifies when it hits the cold water in the trap. You now know something about drainage :LOL:

It will more than likely be a nice big stinky ball of rotting leaves, fat, scale, etc. which coincidentally smells like vomit. Drain experts will clear it in less time than it takes to pull up at your home and start the pump up for their jetter, or you could keep persevering with it :)

Indeed . A 1 metre long x 150mm sausage of solid fat is Awesome , Man :eek:

well the other half has got in from work and is out there with halogen lights digging a hole near the gulley to get to the trap as i can not use the sink/dishwasher/washing machine as flooding the driveway.
Hes worked in the building trade for years previous to present job so likes digging holes lol

well the other half has got in from work and is out there with halogen lights digging a hole near the gulley to get to the trap as i can not use the sink/dishwasher/washing machine as flooding the driveway.
Hes worked in the building trade for years previous to present job so likes digging holes lol

You better get the beers in the fridge for him and be nice to him all night ;)

lol
Having a bit of a mare as the hole my other half has dug has revealed the pipe joining onto the gully........only its not joined onto the gully??
Looking straight down the gully you cant see but put a stick in and you can reach the bottom. The pipe sits much higher but where it sits there is no hole into the side of the gully if that makes sense?
My OH said he has done drainage on building sites before and it makes no sense. Hes getting his bro to come look. Any ideas about that?
We are in a oldish bungalow. Dont know how old. i remember doing my contents insurance and they needed to know so asked about i got some at 60s some at 70s??

im not getting involved anymore lol.
cant even explain whats been done lol
but basically somehow the pipes connected onto the old sewer inspection chamber and not the new one. on opening the old lid...which was buried under the turf as thought not needed was where it is blocked. (so some cursing of matey who did the job...but he was under instruction from our landlord for a 'cheap cash in hand job' so whos to blame?!)
some serious rodding nearly unblocked it.......then the rods snapped and theres 2 plus the plunger now stuck down there so there ringing around to find a mate with some rods to try and rod the others through or something.
OHs arms are brown and cut to shreds and he looks knakered but he says he wants to get it sorted.
Will update tomorrow with any news lol

I admire his Grit..Is he from Norfolk .I hear they are tough buggers who like a bit of digging ;) ..Tis my ancestral home -

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back