Painting bare-copper central heating pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Having recently moved into a flat with a new central heating system, I now have to paint the exposed piping in all the rooms which is in bare copper.

Is there a special undercoat for this and/or do I need to sandpaper the pipes first to get a good bond?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
give them all a wipe with warm soapy water to get rid of any flux residue, and then a couple of coats of a decent undercoat and normal gloss will do the trick.

If you want white, you can get white plastic sleeving that slips nicely over straight pipe runs - great for the feed to radiators - avoids the need to paint.

Two excellent tips - thank you both for that - it's much appreciated :D

Sponsored Links
When I have painted copper pipes, I have cleaned down with hot water with a detergent, then painted with 2 coats of gloss, no undercoat, or primer. That is the method I read in a book, and found it worked perfectly.

I sprayed our copper pipes with some radiator paint from the local plumbers merchant. The finish looks like enamel. In a bathroom, it really adds a touch of class.

I believe it's usually quite expensive, but the stuff I got was a freeby as it was redundant stock (colour matched to an obsolete range that they no longer stock).

you could rub em up each week with wire wool :evil:

or as sandwell says wipe over with wet cloth and use gloss only, Dulux recomend this method. Sorry kev :LOL:

You shouldn`t undercoat copper pipes, it often turns yellow . Just gloss, several coats if needed.

Give them a light rub with fine wire wool making sure any flux etc is removed from the surface then two coats of oil based gloss, no undercoat as it is less flexible than gloss.

howdy,
just one thing,dont paint over the valves though.makes it a bit easier if you need to swing them down for decorating. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back