Who makes Parkside Tools from Lidl,

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Reason I ask is that many retailers, even DIY retailers such as Screwfix always have cheap alternative tools for those who cannot afford the real deal. But what the customer gets is a rotten piece of kit.

From experience I have always had a secondary power tool to most of my branded tools for example i have two jigsaws, one a Bosch GST135BCE Jigsaw and have had several cheapers ones as secondary jigsaws. The reason I say several is that they never last, I have returned 3 Power direct jigsaws from screwfix, a few performance power tools from B and Q and a few others from here and there such as drills and grinders from the Netto store.

The purpose of this thread is just to point out how good Lidls version of tools is. The tools feel robust and from experience last for a long time as well as perform excellent.

I have had a few parkside tools now and they have not let me down apart from one tool which I cant criticise too much as its not really a power tool. This tool was the rotary hobby tool (dremel type). The power of this tool wasnt as I expected but hey who can complain at 10 quid.

Other than this other tools such as a grinder and an 18v cordless drill have lasted me for ages. The cordless drill driver ive had for 5 years now and its still going good.

Likewise I have become curious to find out who actually makes these tools as they are better than similar "cheap" brands

thanks

Sponsored Links
The company that supplies them to Lidl is Kompernaß but this doesn't answer your question about who makes them. Presumably, they are made in factories in China which also make products with well-known brand names. If they share designs or components with the major brands I suppose those major tool companies take all kinds of measures to make sure we can't find those things out.

But if anyone has better information, I'd be curious to know. I'm glad you find Parkside OK. I've always been a bit dubious, but perhaps I'm wrong to be.

xerxex, thanks for the reply.

I have tried many cheapo power tools and seriously they have pretty much all been rubbish in lasting. They dont perform too bad but always seem to go pop after 4-5 months of mild use.

This Parkside drill driver especially ive used rigorously for 5 years and it hasnt let me done one bit. I have realised however, it has a Rohm keyless chuck pretty much the same as what I have found on other branded cordless drill drivers such as some 18v dewalt drills. Could be a sign of quality, I dont know but it sure has lasted me a looooong time

kilo - most of this cheapo tackle, and even some of the 'branded' stuff is made in the Chinese Gulags by slave labour (political prisoners, crims, etc) who are obviously un-waged, hence the low prices over here. Even some of my favoured tackle (DeWalt ... yum) is being now knocked together in Mexico, not the US ... again cheap labour South of the Border resulting in redundancy/layoff in the States. I suspect the build quality may well suffer in future?

A lot of the cheapo stuff has plastic gearing and other inards so may not hold-up to much wellie, clearly this is a problem to pros but less of an issue for the DIYer. Nothing wrong with some of this cheapo stuff IMO if used in the correct situation (DIY/occasional).

I couldn't resist an Aldi air nailer/stapler combo they were selling 3 or 4 years ago for £19 ... a lovely bit of kit! I'm afraid the Guardian reader in me was over-ruled by the tool lover in me - I somehow forgot about all those poor Chinese guys under the lash ... shame on me :oops:

Sponsored Links
Symtoms i understand where your coming from and ive seen it in the flesh. I was visiting Pakistan and we were in a city known as the "industrial city", I was shocked, official Nike footballs being manufactured by a company where young kids who should be in primary school were hand stiching fantastic merchandise but it was upsetting.

Regarding the drill driver im referring to, man i doubt it is made as cheaply as others, it seriously is a very good cordless drill driver, hasnt let me down and hasnt underperformed compared to my Dewalt, Makita and my old mans Bosch ;)

Maybe I jsut got a good one but i doubt it as i know a few people with positive stories to tell regarding Parkside tools

although most people will know me for singing the praises of ryobi 'i have over many years bought parkside stuff when the giveaway price means you can try somthing out or double up as secondery gear

i have over the years bought
18v drill £25 given away last year [about 10 years old]
18v circ saw £35 hardly used lack off battery power [about 10 years]
2 1/2 sheet sanders still in use after 10 and 12 years one cost £25 one cost £12.50

delta sander £8 12 years ago

when i gave the drill away i also gave the circ saw and a challenge 18v drill to a young lad who was taking interest in wood working and diy
the relivent point was all 3 batteries fit all 3 tools although they all have there own individual chargers that will only charge the individual battery

so argos and lidle probably use the same supplier

Big, ive tried one or two challenge products and must say ive really only been impressed by the circular saw even though the laser switch keeps falling out of the housing lol

But damn 10 years for the parkside drill, now that is a decent amount of time for a secondary tool

to be fair it only had 4 or 5 years hard service and was replaced by the ryobi kit as the secondery kit ;)

ive actually used a fgew ryobi tools such as a 18v drill driver, impact drill and a mitre saw. Must say I was impressed and i wouldnt class them as budget/cheap tools.

Some of the Parkside tools I have seen were stamped "Made in Austria"

I have just bought a Parkside Circular Saw ref PHKS66/A.
Problem is I live in France and the booklet is all in French.
Is there a chance that someone could scan and send me operating instructions and named diagram in English please?
Also, what is the spindle lock for please.

Thanks a lot.
Vanessa

Thanks a lot for those links Stivino, gottem.

Afraid all the neighbours could read the French booklet but they cannot speak English, Welsh or Scots.

My next stupid question having had a brief look at the downloaded instruction, is:
The spindle lock, it must be the pin thing going through the centre of the cutting wheel. So you press the lock as a brake or to release the wheel?

Sorry to sound simple but as it is my first I don't want to cut my arm off by mistake.
Vanessa

The spindle lock, it must be the pin thing going through the centre of the cutting wheel. So you press the lock as a brake or to release the wheel?

Sorry to sound simple but as it is my first I don't want to cut my arm off by mistake.
Vanessa

you do not need to touch the spindle lock

if you change the blade for a new one it comes ito play

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back