Filling the hole after removing downlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I thought this would have been answered somewhere but I've searched and come up with nothing, so apologies if this has been answered before and I haven't searched properly.

I have removed a few downlights from a lathe and plaster ceiling leaving 70mm circular holes. The plaster is a good 2cm thick. What is the best way to go about filling the voids. I am about to replace the floor in the room above so I will have easy access from up there.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
I would patch it with plaster board, using a big dollop of plaster to hold the patch (from the wrong side).
Then when set fill from the good side.

Yes, cut a bit of board slightly narrower but longer than the hole. For you say 65 x 120.

Clean the area around the hole in the ceiling void (ie the other side of the ceiling)with a sponge or cloth that it damp to remove dust

Either screw a long woodscrew into the board, or make a hole in the board and thread a piece of wire or string through it from the reverse side with a knot in the end so it won't pull through. Do this about 2/3 of way along the board, not in the middle.

Now put a bit of bonding or finish etc on either end of the board, (you can put a bit up in the hole as well.

Put the board up in the hole and use the wire(or whatever) to pull it down onto the ceiling so it is firmly in the plaster. Holding the wire put a little bit of plaster in the hole but don't bother trying to fill it out fully.

When this is set, next day or later, cut off the wire or push it up into the ceiling (or just unscrew the screw) and fill and finish.

Ideally you would cut back the finish on the surface and scrim over the hole, but I have never seen these crack.

By using a cardboard you can fill the holes. place the card boards in the holes and apply plaster over the holes.

Sponsored Links
He has said thee is access via the floor, hence I dnt use the piece of wire system. (But it may help others)

Another way is to put a bit of batten through the hole long enough to go each side of the hole and screw in place from underneath .Then cut some plugs from a piece of scrap plasterboard( hopefully cut with a holesaw of the same size)srew this to the batten and then tape and plaster

Thanks for the replies. I'll pop a bit of plasterboad in from above to provide the surface to fill against. Now the question is: what do I fill with? I'm presuming some permutation or combination of bonding or hardwall finished with multifinish or easifill will do the trick but what would be the best way to leave a completely integrated crack free surface.

Thanks

i would pack most of it out with bonding if it is deep and then easyfill over and flat back with sand paper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back