Greenstar 24ri blue flashing light.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Today my boiler has given up on me,it lost all power and after changing the fuse on the pcb is now flashing fast on the blue indicator light.There is a slight smell of electrical burning coming from the pcb so I have isolated both the mains supply and gas supply to the boiler.Am I right to think that the pcb has given up and will need replacing or could it be something else?
Its worked fine for the year and half that I have lived here and the installers manual suggests that it is a volatile lockout but does not suggest anything to do with the pcb.
Sorry forgot to mention that it is a open vent fully pumped y plan system h/w and c/h.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Thanks mate,
To be honest the fan does not come on when it starts its initial start up sequence so could well be,its also mentioned on the diagnosis for the volatile lockout.But then there is still the faint electrical burning smell coming from the control board? Both cost roughly the same so would not want to change them for no reason,is there a way of testing the fan?

more than likely it's the fan mate. If your confident take the front of the boiler and check if the fan propellor moves at all before it locks out. If not it's the fan

Sponsored Links
Because they are both fairly expensive parts I would recommend you get a BG fixed price repair.

A faulty fan can potentially damage the PCB and if you just replace the PCB you might damage the new one!

Replacing the fan is the less risky first step.

We really need a Worcester service engineer as they have lots of single make experience and know whats statistically most likely.

Fortunately all the seven Worcs Ri s which I have fitted have all worked fine and I have never been called to repair a faulty Ri yet.

Tony

Thanks for all the advice,
Seems like it is the fan,as suggested took the front off and checked movement on the fan before lockout and there was nothing.
Seems as though the fan has blown the fuse on the pcb when it stopped working.Could the smell be due to the pcb fuse being changed but the faulty fan is still fitted and causing damage to the pcb.
Just out of interest could these parts be fitted by my electrician or would they still need to be fitted by a registered gas fitter.Unfortunately I do not have any service plan with B/G and I am pretty sure that the boiler itself will be out of warranty.Do I need to get it repaired before applying for a service plan?
Thanks again,

BG will apparently do a single one off repair either with or without a follow on insurance based plan.

Those boilers will need a PROPER service after 2-3 years and that needs space above them for access. BG's safety check is not the same.

My advice would be to get a BG fixed price repair but not continue with their insurance but instead get a Worcester engineer to service it if they are price competitive. My experience is that they are pretty reliable boilers.

If you call out of the Yellow pages I doubt that many engineers will do a proper service. It really does need dismantling for a fiull service.

Tony

Thanks Tony,
In the manual it shows what needs to be removed for service etc, seems like a big job compared to what I have seen some engineers do on my previous boiler.Basically looks like you are stripping the inside back out of the boiler.Any way Thanks for all your help I am away for the next couple of days so gives me a chance to work out which route to go, the advice above seems like the best option.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back