Viessman vitodens 100 ( F4 )

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My boiler has just started playing up. It's regularly serviced and up to date. Recently though it's started cutting out and I have no hot water or central heating. The reset button flashes red and F4 comes on the display. I can reset but sometimes it works after two or three presses, sometimes it can take half an hour, pushing the reset button, waiting, flashes again and then I push the button. Eventually the boiler kicks in, but only lasts a few hours then I have to start resetting again. Any ideas. Thanks-Anton

Sponsored Links
I am a householder not a pro. I have a Vitodens 100 Compact which is not the same as yours. I got it because it is supposed to be a high-quality brand. The Vitodens 100 has been redesigned in the last year or so. Apparently the early electronic circuit boards were not reliable and many of them have been replaced under warranty (I have heard the manufacturers acted very fairly). The F4 problerm seemed to happen a lot but we have not seen it on here recently so maybe that is your trouble (see //search.diynot.com/forum_sear...it=drop&since=any&author=&search=Search+Forum
yours is the only one in this forum in the last 3 months.

If you have any papers showing date of installation and a warranty card this may help. When installed by a Viessmann-trained installer you get a longer warranty. Their brochure says

"All Vitodens wall hung boilers have a
standard 3 year warranty on parts &
labour, which is increased to 5 years for
all boilers installed by Viessmann trained
installers. Completely free, with no
strings attached, this guarantee is
unrivalled in the industry"

They also have a ten-year warranty on the heat exchanger (which is Stainless Steel so unlikely to go wrong)

Your serial number will be on a bar-coded label which may be stuck to the top, side or bottom of your boiler, and should also be stuck to the instruction book. Date of installation may also be in the book.

With luck a Viessmann installer will be along later who knows more clearly if the F4 is related to the old PCB.

They are not very common so if you need a repair look for a trained local person on http://www.viessmann.co.uk/home_index.php

Sponsored Links
The only f4 I have ever had on these has ended up being the pcb, which is the whole complete unit housing and all with a price tag to boot!. There was a change to the ignition unit which veissman would advise first so check power into that unit on ignition to see if it's receiving any.

could be board or ignition module.worth ringing viessmann on most warrenty calls.if pcb i also replace the ignition module, as these were dogs.should be getting around 300vdc at the ignition module from pcb.this being the old 100 wb1a.

Its virtually always the ignition unit.

But there is no test you can do apart from replacing it.

On the seven Viessmann 100s that I have installed, most have failed within 1-10 weeks.

I have been told that very rarely it can be caused by the PCB but I have no firm evidence of ANY which were really the PCB. Just a less knowledgeable engineer who replaced the PCB first.

Tony

you can test dc voltage to gen at least .your right though most common fault.had one 2 week ago jammy slapper caused f5 fault sorted. till cycling.on older boards f4 did not show .basically pcb.green ignition module also.lucky bugger.bought it off ebay 500,still under warrentry.so he was happy as.

All the faulty ignition modules that I have ever seen have been grey.

The new ones are black.

I did see a red one on a five year old 100 but that was an F5 fault.

Tony

yeah your right agile it was grey:oops: was thinking of the similar module off the halstead eden cbx. which is greenish.it is late :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back