Can I use any make MCB B40 on my Crabtree C/U ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:confused: Hi

I need to change my MCB B32 to MCB B40 for a new shower.

The C/U is around 12 years old.

Will any make of MCB fit my Crabtree Star Breaker C/U ?

For instance the BusBar?

Many thanks.

Stephen

Sponsored Links
I need to change my MCB B32 to MCB B40 for a new shower.
  1. What size cable is it?

2. Do you know what its current carrying capacity is given how it is installed?

3. How will you verify that its R1+R2 is OK for a breaker of increased rating?

4. Is the circuit RCD protected?

5. //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part-p

Will any make of MCB fit my Crabtree Star Breaker C/U ?

For instance the BusBar?
No. Ones other than the originals might fit, but it is absolutely not the case that any and all will fit.

Thanks ban-all-sheds.

I just wanted to know if there are any physical differences between MCB's (B rated).

This is because I have a long journey to ScrewFix/B & Q and don't want to find out there are differences and a different brand would not fit.
I wanted to get he job done this weekend. If I have to order online then I'll do that.

In answer to your concerns;

I've spent hours looking into this.

The cable is 6mm.

6mm twin and earth cable is rated at 47 Amps at best. At 240V (real, not nominal).

The old shower was 8.5kW.

The MCB for the old shower is B32.

We have lived here for 7 years and the shower has never tripped.

90% of the cable is in an airy/large loft.

Showers up to 8.5kw may carry a 6mm cable as long as the shower unit is within 18 meters of the fuseboard. Fuses and switches should be rated at 40 amps.

It is because it seems the person who fitted the MCB for the shower didn't seems to fit the correct rating MCB, is why I want to change this for B40.
In saying this - maybe Regs years ago were different.

My electric oven is on a MCB B32 running on 6mm cable - no problem there.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
My electric oven is on a MCB B32 running on 6mm cable - no problem there.

Yes, but the oven won't be pulling 32amps and if it did then not for too long as it has thermostats and stuff.

Electric showers are wham 37amp all the time until you turn them off devices so overloads and tripping of mcbs are likely unless the circuit is designed properly.

What is the R1+R2 for the 6mm circuit?

TTC genuine interest and wanting to learn and understand. If i have understood your last response correctly why does knowing what the R1+R2 is, which i understand is a continuity check between phase and earth, impact/effect/influence the choice of MCB.

Thanks BAS, I need to read that link in detail to get my head around the inter relationships of the Zs , Ze etc but with this topic example it will make more sense.

Thanks to both. A further question, if the calculated Zs result is different to the actual measured result, does it signify a problem or is it ok as long as the actual result is within the limits of the tables.

Measured and calculated are often slightly different. Its OK as long as within the EFLI limits. And don't forget the rule of thumb.

• Thanks
Reactions: STI

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back