Gas flue vent distance from window??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having a conservatory built and I will have a glazed window (non-opening) near to my boiler's gas flue vent. I'm not sure of exact distance but currently it is 300mm from the centre of the vent to my kitchen window frame. The conservatory will be just outside the window therefore approx. 250mm. The top & other side of the vent is clear and is over the height of my neighbour's fence (i.e. not enclosed any further on any other side, just the one where my new conservatory will be).

I have had two heating engineers to visit and they both seem to unsure of the current regulations which is worrying! Can anyone on here help?!

I have looked into extending the flue upwards but they don't seem to do the correct vertical extension kit for my boiler. If anyone can help with this too I would be grateful. My boiler is a Potterton Suprima 30 (standard efficiency) installed in 1998.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Fair enough...I was going on the basis that the MI's superseed the BS regulations.

I suppose that presenting a new clearance to a flue could be counted as re-fitting or installing a new flue, in which case the new regs would apply.

All measurements have to be made form the OUTSIDE of the flue.

So as your flue is within 300mm it is already too close to the window based on the CORGI interpretation which is likely to be continued by Gas Safe that 300mm applies because the window could be replaced with an opening one at any time.

Only condensing boilers can have their outlet gases diverted away from the terminal externally. All others have to be moved internally.

Dont expect flue parts to be readily available for 10 year old boilers.

Tony

You have not given details of your neighbours boundary.

The 600mm is the official minimum distance from the centerline of the boundary to the closest part of your flue.

Its not very important in practice as its not normally a gas safety issue, just a matter of not annoying your neighbour.

Tony

the other thing to consider is the requirement for a flue to be more than 150mm from a fabric opening in a building ie where the window frame meets the building, so the existing flue is well inside the requirements

on this point, how would you classify a room sealed flue too near an opening in a building as per CURRENT edition of IUP

I think you'll find the diagram posted above by Axel is not for a 1998 Suprima.

Correct me if I'm wrong - I won't fit Poxi Batterton so am not familiar - but I reckon it is a Suprima HE manual, and thus of no relevence to the OP.

I think you'll find the diagram posted above by Axel is not for a 1998 Suprima.

Correct me if I'm wrong - I won't fit Poxi Batterton so am not familiar - but I reckon it is a Suprima HE manual, and thus of no relevence to the OP.

Thanks Simon, I have found the original manual online via the Potterton website and it shows a similar drawing with dimensions. It seems like I only need 25mm (fingers crossed!) gap to an internal/external corner and I am waiting on confirmation from the heating engineer.

Thanks everyone else for your help.

The OP said:
I am having a conservatory built and I will have a glazed window (non-opening) near to my boiler's gas flue vent.
So the regulations about the distance of the flue from a opening window are irrelevant. It's only the distance from the internal corner formed by the existing wall and the conservatory wall which is relevant.

The OP said:
I am having a conservatory built and I will have a glazed window (non-opening) near to my boiler's gas flue vent.
So the regulations about the distance of the flue from a opening window are irrelevant. It's only the distance from the internal corner formed by the existing wall and the conservatory wall which is relevant.

Yes, I don't think I explained myself very well in the opening post (sorry everyone!) but the conservatory is enclosing the existing kitchen window and the new conservatory window pane coming out away from the house adjacent to the flue will be approx. 150-200mm away from the flue. I was worried this would be too close but I think it is covered by the internal/external corner dimensions quoted so therefore I need 25mm gap - which I will have.

Thanks everyone!

Be aware that neither the OP nor D Hailsam are gas registered.

They are making up their own intrepretations of the manufacturers instructions.

A conservatory in terms of MI is a window and not a wall.

Whilst I agree that the MI does not cover the OP's situation, its only the manufacturer who should advise when there is no clear information given.

Another aspect often ignored is that the flue can only be fitted in a location where it will not cause any "nuisance".

Tony

Whilst D Hailsham or op is not registere they both have a better understanding of the the regs than you Agile
You are certainly a nupty

Scary who is allowed to be ACS registered

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back