How to hold down and seal kitchen sink?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I agreed to connect up a kitchen sink for a customer whose boiler I have been repairing for a few years.

The new kitchen had been fitted by an installer from Europe who has now left the country without totally completing the job.

They have apparently bought some double sided adhesive tape and asked me to fit the sink using that. The sink is a B&Q standard stainless sink with no mechanical method supplied to hold it in place.

My question is whether double sided adhesive tape is an acceptable way to hold down the sink and provide a water tight seal?

Tony

Sponsored Links
There would normally be double sided foam tape plus 10 or so claw type clips, which clip onto the sink underside then extend under the worktop onto which they bite up....I guess these have gone astray.
I wouldn't be happy with a tape seal alone to hold the sink down permanently.
John :)

That what I had expected using claw clips to hold it down.

It was really a job from hell! The kitchen taps had parts missing and they had to get it replaced and eventually had a new tap and spare missing fittings as well. The sink was damaged and had to be replaced. Thats B&Q for you!

Trouble is a non tech son was buying the bits and an experienced kitchen fitter doing the work but apparently not with much interest apart from finishing and leaving!

There were bits all over the place and I had a good look round but no sink fixings.

Are they supplied loose with the sink, sold seperately or should they have been taped onto the sink?

Tony

Are they supplied loose with the sink, sold seperately or should they have been taped onto the sink?
They are usually around a dozen of them in a small plastic bag along with a strip of double sided, closed cell foam & the fixing instructions but I'm pretty sure you can get sink fixing kits as a separate item.

Sponsored Links
Frightenin that someone who is qualified to fit boilers etc cant even work out how to fit a sink :rolleyes:

Nah, don't bother with the clips. Just run some good quality transulscent sealant on the underside of the sink rim, fit in place and weigh down. Once the sealants cured, leave it overnight, then just cut the excess off. Worked for me.

I thought any numpty could fit a sink!!!!cut the hole seal with some varnish or silicone ,and then clamp the sink down again using clear silicone and the clips provided by the manufacturer,personally i never bother using that double sided tape

Ah well looks there is one numpty who cant,the merits of being a proper qulaified plumber and heating engineer !

Agile you should go on one of those 6 week wonder courses to teach you how to plumb.

You should that junior engineer Nickso,i bet he could fit a kitchen sink without having to ask on public forum

You can buy spare clips if required (pg 264 of Plumbfix cat for example), however silicone should do the job.

Edit: Remember to apply clear silicone to the inside of the cut out in the worktop too.

Varnish is actually better then silicone because it penetrates right into the chipboard unlike silicone which just sits ontop mate ,each to their own though,when i dont having any quick drying varnish then i too use clear sanitary silicone :cool: :cool:

Varnish is actually better then silicone because it penetrates right into the chipboard unlike silicone which just sits ontop mate ,each to their own though,when i dont having any quick drying varnish then i too use clear sanitary silicone :cool: :cool:

Top Tip - Never thought to use it before.

That was method showed to me about 25 years ago,by an old school plumber ,who has now passed away may god rest his soul

Frightenin that someone who is qualified to fit boilers etc cant even work out how to fit a sink :rolleyes:

Funny that eh! old Tony boy the short course wonder and there is me thinking he knows everything...NOT.

For gods sake I am surprised he gets any work done the amount of time he spends on here talking rubbish.

Sure your not an architect or building control officer...I mean you seem to

Know a little about everything and Not a lot about much

Anyway! as usual when he's made a idiot of himself he'll go and hide.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back