Dry verge repair and bird nests

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a dry verge on the gable end of my (4 bed detached) house. It was fitted by a professional, but has never seemed right - it is loose and moves in the wind (the builder who did it went into liquidation a few years ago). At one end, above a gutter, we have had a birds nest (starlings) for several years (they are not in the loft space, just between the walls I think). Despite a number of refixings at this end the birds keep getting in.

The gable end looks a mess, sometimes the birds keep my children awake, and I'm concerned about unseen damage the birds might be doing (might there be a damp patch in this corner in due course).

I now want the whole of the dry verge removing, refixing properly and any gaps sealed by a professional so the birds can't get back. I've been quoted £520 + VAT, which includes the hire of a hydraulic platform. My wife would rather leave it alone, because of the cost and because she doesn't trust any builder to repair it correctly.

Could anyone advise me if the cost I have been quoted is reasonable, and, if we do decide to leave the gable end as it is, are we likely to suffer any long term damage (either from birds or from rain getting in where the verge is loose)?

Sponsored Links
First of all did the 'professional' rake out the old mortar and extend the tiling lath out to nail the dry verges on or did he just stick them on top of the cemented verge?

Also if it was done by a professional it certanly would not move.As for the birds nests?he has not fitted the stopper on the bottom of the first unit.Me also thinks he has just fitted it to the existing render.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. I think I might understand why I have problems with the dry verge and what needs to be done to correct it. Does anyone have a view on the cost, or what damage might be caused if the verge is just left as it is, birds nest included?

the verges will loosen off more as they rattle about through time! eventually you will loose them.
not a good idea to have wildlife camping out in your roofline either, best to address the problem before winter comes back round.

Thanks for the replies. I think I might understand why I have problems with the dry verge and what needs to be done to correct it. Does anyone have a view on the cost, or what damage might be caused if the verge is just left as it is, birds nest included?

Do you really likethe DV? Personally you cant beat traditional mortar, maybe go back to how it was? The birds won't really spread throughout the roof, they normally just hang around the same area, they won't like peck at the roofing timbers but their poo will ruin the roofing felt if they are onto op it.

One reason I had the DV fitted was that the birds pecked away at the mortar. I thought the DV would stop them, but it didn't. Not sure how practical it would be to go back to mortar even if it could be made bird proof.

JohnD,
I can appreciate what you say about dry verge versus mortar. Some houseowners nearby have dry verge, some have mortar. If done well both look good and seem to last a reasonable time, but the mortar needs occasional repair, particularly if subject to the worst of the weather. My problem is that the dry verge wasn't done well in the first instance (wasn't nailed or screwed to battens), although I didn't know that until we had some bad weather months later.

but I understand is difficult to retrofit to an old roof?

There are a couple of approaches for retro fitting dry verges that I'm aware of. One involves removing the verge tiles and extending the roof battens and/or use of clips. The verge is then fitted to these. Alternatively a batten could be fitted along the gable wall and this used to secure the dry verge. If you're confident and have experience with DIY then it may be an interesting DIY project but it's important that you have a thorough understanding of your situation and instructions on how to fit them. You can buy dry verges in local builders merchants or online. You can buy Klober Uni-Dry Verges on eBay, just search for "klober dry verge".

There are a couple of approaches for retro fitting dry verges that I'm aware of. One involves removing the verge tiles and extending the roof battens and/or use of clips. The verge is then fitted to these. Alternatively a batten could be fitted along the gable wall and this used to secure the dry verge. If you're confident and have experience with DIY then it may be an interesting DIY project but it's important that you have a thorough understanding of your situation and instructions on how to fit them. You can buy dry verges in local builders merchants or online. You can buy Klober Uni-Dry Verges on eBay, just search for "klober dry verge".

Or Manthorpe dry verge which are a bit more robust than Klober

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back